News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

vape cdi on a T500

Started by m in sc, October 03, 2021, 07:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

I posted this in the FB suzuki groups, but also will post here as well.

So, got the vape cdi installed on the T500. (purchased from John @ Economy cycle)  pretty straightforward, but a few things i did differently . For 1, I used hex head  bolts because you can't quite get an allen head driver in there (even a ball nose one) witht eh ones that are supplied. 2nd, i used a thicker washer than the one supplied and a hex bolt to hold on the rotor. Prior to installing, I heated the drum up to about 250 degrees so when it went on it would 'shrink' down to the taper. also a slight dab of green sleeving loctite on the taper is always a good idea. 3rd: I set the timing to 22 degrees. since the plug hole is canted, you can't really use a dial gauge to do this. well, you -can- if you use a mag base and aim the gauge in straight. However, i initially did that, but then just put the dial gauge in the plug hole, and used it to find TDC. I then used a digital level/protractor with a magnetic base, and at TDC, put the level on the rotor, set it to '0'. its reads in 1/10 th of a degree. then i backed up the rotor to 22 degrees and then moved the plate to line up with the line on the rotor.  (pic shows it off, i adjusted afterwards.  Luckily the holes are slotted, on the rd ones, they arent and it SUCKS to get right  Test rode, and it was spot on. Few tips: brown wires are earth, or ground on the vape system. 2: make sure the relay is powered off a keyed source. 3: chase a new neutral light wire thru the vape sleeve before installing.  Hope this helps someone.

as a side note, make sure you mark tdc at the half way mark on the rotor between the beginning of the '0' reading and the 'end' of the '0' reading with a dial gauge. this is the 'dwell' at tdc. true tdc is in the middle of those 2 points.   :gentleman:

rodneya

Looks good. but you should add a note to blue locktite all the vape bolts.

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

Quote from: rodneya on October 03, 2021, 11:42:53 PM
Looks good. but you should add a note to blue locktite all the vape bolts.
i would assume everyone would know to do that. but, yeah.  :vroom:

thanks timmy   :celebrate:

Striker1423

I bet she screams now and won't foul up anymore! I want to get my bike back together, but the fiancé moved in and the combination of my shit, my grandmas shit and her shit makes for a lot of shit in the way... everywhere, but especially the garage.

m in sc

Quote from: Striker1423 on October 04, 2021, 09:11:11 AM
I bet she screams now and won't foul up anymore! I want to get my bike back together, but the fiancé moved in and the combination of my shit, my grandmas shit and her shit makes for a lot of shit in the way... everywhere, but especially the garage.

to be honest, only time it ever fouled  a plug was when the inner rh crank seal went. But it got close a few times, would miss and fart and not rev. with points and with 2 seperate electronic pickups. when i put the single pickup/dual lead coil on it ran about the same as it does now, but i wanted to just remove any possibility of it failing. I mean, i could have just rewired it and put on new coils but.. f-it. Now, its a bit crisper and revs smoother for sure. but otherwise its just a stock t500, but it is fun. I did wheelie it yesterday with a slight clutch feather, which it wouldn't do before as easily. man that things LONG.  :haw: