News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Calling all machinists, professional & amateur HELP!

Started by 85RZwade, September 02, 2021, 10:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

I have one of these silly things:

And I need to bore a 15mm hole in aluminum, but I don't have a chuck for the tailstock, like this:

High school machine shop was quite a while ago, so I need a little help here. The tailstock is a Morse 0 taper, which I find to be tiny. Am I going to be able to find a chuck capable of holding a 15mm drill with a 0 taper, and if such a thing exists, where should I look?
I post waayyy too much

bitzz

KBC list a 0MT with 3JT... but I seriously doubt they have stock.

0MT is pretty small.

m in sc

yeah those are tiny. when i worked on clocks for a living, one of the guys int he guild had one of those with a neat home-brewed colleting system.

Very very cool though.  :olaf:

teazer

15mm is pretty large for a 0 morse taper.  How about a much smaller drill bit (morse taper type) and open that up to finished size with a boring tool in the cross slide?

rodneya

m in sc

what is the work-piece? I see a cross slide.  cant you use a boring arm on it? just predill as said before.

85RZwade

Wow! Thank you all for so much input so quickly, I'm grateful. I just got some tooling and I'll see if the boring arm is small enough to make a 15mm hole. Also thought to look for a drill with a reduced shank. I will check the resources you guys kindly provided, and how does one get started working on clocks for a living, Mark? There's gotta be a story there.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

i made my own boring arm along time ago out of tool steel and a torch and a grinder. so.. get creative. lol. most of the 1/4" tooling can handle though.

its sort of along story on the clock thing, but did it for (3 yr apprenticeship) 10 yrs, and through college. I miss it but dying art. Hard to keep a motorcycle addiction going.. and pay rent doing that. But i was very very good at it.

bitzz

Now that you have a lathe you can turn the taper in the tailstock out to MT3

See how this works? You now get to waste HUGE amounts of time making stupid stuff... oh yeah AND spending HUGE amounts of beer monies on tooling.

... and learn how to grind HSS tools. That little thing doesn't have the puff for carbide tooling.

85RZwade

I totally get the appeal of making stupid stuff! Trying not to spend too much beer (motorcycle parts) money, or I'd hire a competent machinist to make parts for me. The last time I did, two little bushings for a shock mount set me back $60.
I don't think I can bore this little guy out much at all:

And no, I don't have giant hands; that's a pinkie finger. Maybe I'm worrying too much about getting the axle bore concentric, but I just don't want that axle in a bind when this is all done.
Glad I didn't spend much on the carbide tooling you can see in the picture! I have ground HSS cutting tools, and still have at least a couple, but they're too big for this dinky tool post. More shopping.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

you could do it for sure.  I've used stuff that size up to 9 foot bed lathes. the challenge is in figuring out how to do it.  :cheerleader:  side note, I made my live center for nine as well. spins in 2 bearings that came out of a few banshee water pump service kits I couldn't use  . been doing great for 15? yrs

sav0r

Decent carbide boring bars can be had for nothing online these days. Get one and go to town.

If that doesn't work, send it to me and I'll bore it. I'm off on vacation for a week though.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

pidjones

I made a boring bar out of an Allen wrench. Then reground it into a tool to cut an o-ring groove.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"