Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Low Speed Surging…

Started by AAAltered, September 07, 2021, 08:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

R5 runs great overall.   For some time I've meant to catch this one issue on video but I've never gotten around to it.

At low speed, (little/no throttle) or while slowing down on local type roads the bike has a very distinct surge, like a wha-wha-wha-wha with some appropriate jerking.  It smooths out with a little throttle.

I assume this is too small/large of a pilot jet? 

I rebuilt with 100% new Mikuni brass last winter and my invoice shows 35 pilots now.  The mains are nicely dialed in via chops.

Thoughts?
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Striker1423

adjust your air screws and re-test.

Czakky

My R5 did that. I was able to mostly solve with air screws.

m in sc

yup.

old school way of doing pilot air screws:

warm bike up. like ride it a short bit and come back to garage. keep running. usually a fan in front of the motor is a good idea. let idle. get off bike, and just crack throttle up to 1/16th to 1/8th and hold it. if it rises and climbs, its too lean. if it burbles and goes back to idle speed or sounds.. heavy... too rich. adjust in 1/4 increments. repeat. then try 1/4 throttle. it should hold an rpm at a given throttle position.  I'm guessing you're a bit rich on the pilot air screw setting.   :twocents:

pidjones

So, rich on pilot air indicates need for clockwise on screw? Mine started doing this yesterday (hadn't done it before). Seems no big deal to carry a screwdriver in my pocket and try adjustments to improve.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Striker1423

Turning the air screw in richens the mixture, turning it out leans it. That simple.

m in sc

yup. in = less air or richer.  also why you don't want to go under 1 turn total, will affect velocity and fuel atomization.

good rule of thumb for carbs, typically, is that if the screw is on the air filter side of the carb slide: air screw. on the motor side: fuel screw.