News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Tarozzi offset clip-ons

Started by 85RZwade, September 11, 2021, 09:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Short story long: I want to put a fat bar on my RD like Ed has on his R5, but the GSX-R upper clamp is super thin where I'd need to drill holes for risers, so I'm looking at clip-ons like a dumb 20-something (apologies, dumb 20-somethings out there). Fast from the Past has these offset Tarozzis that I kinda like better than their "riser" options:

Do any of you fine folks have experience with such a thing, or have a better solution? I guess I should say that super low 'bars aren't as kind to me as they once were, hence the fat bar idea.
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

You could weld some plates to the underside of the Gixxer top clamp to get enough meat to add fat bar mounts

pdxjim

Aren't aftermarket top yokes with 'bar mounts, like, a thing for the stunt bois?

Probably expensive, but so are chiropractors.

Edit: 

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/Suzuki-Upper-Tree-With-Bar-Clamps.htm

https://moto-cnc.com/suzuki-gsxr-600-top-yoke-conversion-2004-2005-k4-k5-alloy-ready-to-polish
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

That would solve the problem...$285. Damn fine looking bit.
Oops! Fat bar clamps additional $125   :confusing2:
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Sometimes I just need a nudge in the right direction:

https://cognitomoto.com/collections/triple-clamps_handlebars_controls/products/gsx-r600-billet-top-tree-1997-2000-non-inverted

And they'll drill it for bar risers for a pittance.
Clamp $142
Risers $77
Drilling $22

Or add some aluminum to the underside like Rodney suggested, buy the risers and drill the holes myself.
Back to my build  :dance: :burnout:
I post waayyy too much

AAAltered

Once you solve the yoke, I think my bars and mounts (Pro Taper brand) were less than $130 total as a kit...

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

85RZwade

I was online this morning looking at all the brands and all the BENDS of 'bars out there. How does one choose a bend?
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on September 13, 2021, 12:28:30 AM
I was online this morning looking at all the brands and all the BENDS of 'bars out there. How does one choose a bend?
[/quote

Usually you take an educated best guess and then regret your decision later.

m in sc

i have a Carmichael bend and really like it. But its also on a much bigger bike.  :twocents:

Czakky

Here's my thoughts on handlebars. I look at how my hand/knuckles line up with the grips. I try to get them just inside of parallel with the grips, adjusting rise, width and pullback will effect this. Having your knuckles close to parallel to the grips gives better control and helps combat numb hands as well as properly adjusted levers. I'm sure everyone is different but if you've got narrow shoulders your probably not going to want 34" wide drag bars....

85RZwade

That makes a lot of sense, but who told you about my narrow shoulders? There's only one dealership in town, and their on-hand (handlebar pun intended) selection is slim. I decided, again, to go with Rodney's strategy and roll the bones. Ordered a set of ODI CR high 'bars today. Fingers crossed!
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

I'm short with wide shoulders but short arm big hands(kinda).
I have a hard time finding good fitting road bars... not so much with clip on bars as I can mod to fit.
But road bars for my R5 will take a little doing. I find that trumpet bars or early xs650 fit me good.. but mounting can be a thing.

motodreams

Any decent off-road dirt bike rider will ride standing up with the majority of their weight over the front end.  Moto has different demands but similar bar setups.

Its going to be a much different riding position than you will have on a street bike.

Most of the bars i've ridden on dirt bikes have more sweep backwards than I would think you would want on a street bike but obv up to personal preference.

85RZwade

Another good point! I stand up until I get tired, but I'm prone to monkey butt, so there's motivation to stay on my feet. I made some progress on the top triple clamp today, and I hope to see handlebars Friday.
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: motodreams on September 15, 2021, 05:59:52 PM

Most of the bars i've ridden on dirt bikes have more sweep backwards than I would think you would want on a street bike but obv up to personal preference.

This is the opposite of what I was gonna say.  Ive been putting 7/8" Fly Racing CR Low MX 'bars on my bikes, but when I tried to fit a pair to my LC they were way to straight with very little pullback.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A