This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd350 A/B crank pin 8G8-11681-00

Started by Pravin, September 23, 2021, 10:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravin

Hi ,

I have to rebuild my crank due to issues as it seems the weight is lose or my webs are rubbing in cenak case giving silver flakes ..very fine ones and powder like lead deposition on to head and piston top area ..even my right plug is silver grey ...

I have been looking and found the part number 8G8-11681-00 but this one looks to be solid pin and the ones came in bikes in India were hollow ones .

Do we have any part number to look for hollow crank pins ? and can I use these solid ones in case I don't get hollow ones ? Any impact ?

Regards,
Pravin

m in sc

wait. didnt the crank just get 'trued' on this?

Id look to get a vitos crank if you can. or just buy 2 matching pins and replace them both.

bitzz

Yamaha stopped using the hollow pin
AFIK all the Yamaha crank pins supercede to the RD400 solid pin with serrated edges.
Wiseco makes a hollow pin or use  Kawasaki  13035-1010-01

If you're going to replace the pin, you're going to replace the rod and big end bearing... NO?
Get a ProX kit with pin, rod, bearing and thrust washers, everything you need, all in one box.

Pravin

Quote from: m in sc on September 23, 2021, 10:14:41 AM
wait. didnt the crank just get 'trued' on this?

Id look to get a vitos crank if you can. or just buy 2 matching pins and replace them both.

Yes crank was trued to zero and I installed it ... I doubt it's the crank web rubbing or lead weights rubbing somewhere ...

Am looking for pins but all are solid pins not hollow .... Wil ot be okay ?

Regards,
Pravin

Pravin

Quote from: bitzz on September 23, 2021, 03:33:07 PM
Yamaha stopped using the hollow pin
AFIK all the Yamaha crank pins supercede to the RD400 solid pin with serrated edges.
Wiseco makes a hollow pin or use  Kawasaki  13035-1010-01

If you're going to replace the pin, you're going to replace the rod and big end bearing... NO?
Get a ProX kit with pin, rod, bearing and thrust washers, everything you need, all in one box.

I guess the prox is best bet .... I do have 360 rods n small ends ....was planning to buy big ends n pins off ebay but the pins are like 30$ each ..

Regards,
Pravin

Pravin

Pics ...how it looks ..

Missed flakes on the cloth I thin it got deleted

Pravin

1976RD400C

Did you take a close look at your crank? Are the flywheels spreading apart and rubbing on the case? What is the clearance on the rod large end where the thrust washers are? Any pics of the piston skirts and cylinder bores?
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

you need to take the crank out and inspect it. id still just replace it. especially if this is going to be stock pipes, it wont get stressed that much.

Pravin

Quote from: 1976RD400C on September 24, 2021, 10:00:54 AM
Did you take a close look at your crank? Are the flywheels spreading apart and rubbing on the case? What is the clearance on the rod large end where the thrust washers are? Any pics of the piston skirts and cylinder bores?

There is 2to3 mm side play in rods no verticle .. I tried to check the webs and weight is they move side ways with a flat  screw driver but they don't look snug fit .

I had out back the too end with new piston pin bearings ...cleaned the head n piston ..right one and am going to ride for 10 20 km and see if I still get that grey deposition on plug n heads n piston top ...if so am going to split open the engine .

If not then the rubbing has done whatever it could and that's it !!

I still have bearings sound which I need to address once I gather all parts and that time am gona open the engine as well anyways..

Don't want to spend double on engine work labor .

Cheers
Pravin

m in sc

if you can move the weights, stop riding it. 

pidjones

Quote from: m in sc on September 24, 2021, 01:15:58 PM
Agreed. And, the bearing sound is probably the grey matter getting into the races. Keep running it, and the cost of repair can go up by 3X to 5X.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rodneya

Quote from: pidjones on September 24, 2021, 01:31:22 PM
Quote from: m in sc on September 24, 2021, 01:15:58 PM
Agreed. And, the bearing sound is probably the grey matter getting into the races. Keep running it, and the cost of repair can go up by 3X to 5X.

Or all the dirt that is in the engine. The area around the crank bearing oil holes does not look good at all and who knows what has made it into the bottom of the motor.

m in sc

true. ive seen a bearing lock up and completely fuck up a set of cases by spinning in the case.  :huh:

Pravin

Hmmm ok I think I need to open the engine up !!

Will keep you guys posted !

Regards,
Pravin