Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Tuning AC RD350 front suspension

Started by 2t Fan, October 02, 2021, 04:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2t Fan

Race Tech Gold Valve Fork Emulators or Fork Caps with Preload Adjusters , which one I should try ?

sav0r

Both are nice but if you pick one go with emulators. Ideally you'd do emulators and springs, then prelaod adjustment of some type to get the sag set.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

85RZwade

:agree: they do two different things. Also agree that if you're only doing one, get the emulator
I post waayyy too much

Czakky

Proper spring rate, fresh oil, emulators. You can tune your preload with spacers or removing preload.
I first did a correct spring and incorrect fork oil and was a bit disappointed. Eventually did the emulator thing and lightened(?) up the fork oil, played with preload a bit. Waaaay better. I would say that rebound damping could be tuned a bit more.

1976RD400C

I was surprised how well the emulators work. No worries with hitting all the choppy stuff on bad roads at speed.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

bitzz

What is it you're trying to accomplish?

may I suggest before you do anything you read the RaceTech "Motorcycle Suspension Bible" (available on RaceTech's website or you can find a PDF online).

m in sc

I've installed the emulators in a few bikes. the ones from Mike's xs are copies, but good ones. I never bothered with adjustable preload, it can be set with spacers over the springs. 

2t Fan

will do a bit of research, thanks so much

dgorms

I've got the race tech emulators and progressive springs in my DS-7, set up for my weight and erratic riding style by a local suspension guru! They work way better than I expected. Paired with the hagon rears the bike works quite well for being 49 yrs old!.......................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

Djg8493

Does anyone know if these Mikes XS emulators can be made to work on ACRDs? He calls out Daytonas but I seem to remember reading something about them being used on ACRDs as well with some modification, maybe on the old site?

Thanks!

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-damper-valve-pr-front-forks-77-84-oem-1t3-23170-00-00.html
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

1976RD400C

You need to make an adapter, so the emulator fits and seals on the top of the damper rod. The Race Tech ones come with it. Also, the damper rod on a RD400 needs to be modified by cutting the top off in a lathe because it is not open, I think RD350 rods are open on top so it doesn't need to be modified. The first pic is a unmodified 400 damper rod. The second one modified and ready to assemble.

em2" border="0
em3" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

Quote from: Djg8493 on March 13, 2022, 09:59:42 PM
Does anyone know if these Mikes XS emulators can be made to work on ACRDs? He calls out Daytonas but I seem to remember reading something about them being used on ACRDs as well with some modification, maybe on the old site?

Thanks!

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-damper-valve-pr-front-forks-77-84-oem-1t3-23170-00-00.html

i have them in my 350.  you have to split the pin per instructions but they work well.

JBeasty

Sorry to resurrect an old thread  :smiley:
Just to be clear, these Mikes XS emulators can be made to work in the 34mm RD forks? I read through the Instructions, but I don't see any mention of "splitting the pin." Are there instructions hiding somewhere on the forum? 
1977 RD400

m in sc

when you get it its obvious what you need to do. looking at the rod from the top, the roll pin is pressed all the way across the opening. take the middle section out, to clear the bottom of the bolt/nut that protrudes into the rod. a dremel with a carbide bit to cut it i think is what i used.

as a side note, i did add preload adjusters from economy on my bikes since the original post. mine is on the lightweight rd, its about 115? lbs lighter than a stock bike, so i had to tune mine lighter, i used 5wt fork oil and actually reduced the preload a hair.  however, i've done this the other way as well. I know, for a fact, these make a huge difference (the emulators) when set up right.  heres the instructions for the XS forks, which the top is different than the earlier 34mm forks.

https://www.2strokeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/lightweight-rd/forks/fork-valve-emulators-1.pdf