This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Gas tanks from India? RZ350

Started by Rd400fiend, October 10, 2021, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rd400fiend

I keep seeing these pop up on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Petrol-Gas-Tank-Raw-Steel-Yamaha-Rz350-31k-YPVS-Rd-Td-Lc-/384284225974?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

It is always the "last one" and is so cheap that I am tempted.

Anyone try one of these?

One friend has seen two inexpensive tanks from ebay and one was much better than the other.

pdxjim

Garbage.

There is a vid on YouTube showing the horrors of these India made RZ tanks.

There was a manu out of Japan working on repop RZ tanks but I don't think they ever saw production
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

mnein

Yes, garbage. I know RZ tanks are unobtainable, but don't buy the Indian made tank.

IR8D8R

The Indians are capable of doing good work. They lack the tools and quality raw materials for the small craft shops that are producing this sort of parts.

They may be beaten out of old car hoods using homemade wooden bucks. The bottom of this tank looks hand formed.

I would expect that this is a $25 piece in India. If you went over there and paid ~$250 for a tank it would be really good. The workers are making less than $500 a month. Whoever is commissioning them for sales on Ebay is raking it in. It's still a $25 part unfortunately.

IR8D8R

m in sc

if i had a track bike, id get one, line it and make it a 'crash ok' tank.  otherwise, fuck no.

Pravin

Quote from: IR8D8R on October 11, 2021, 02:37:26 PM
The Indians are capable of doing good work. They lack the tools and quality raw materials for the small craft shops that are producing this sort of parts.

They may be beaten out of old car hoods using homemade wooden bucks. The bottom of this tank looks hand formed.

I would expect that this is a $25 piece in India. If you went over there and paid ~$250 for a tank it would be really good. The workers are making less than $500 a month. Whoever is commissioning them for sales on Ebay is raking it in. It's still a $25 part unfortunately.

IR8D8R

Very true , there are fine tinkerers with good skills .... You need to be at right place and with good time and patience ..

Recently I met one guy who's making after market exhausts for RDs , discussed with him the designs internals etc , gave him few suggestions which he welcomed.

Few of my friends gave order also .. so looking forward how their sets come up .

But not all are willing to talk and accept suggestions to make things right . Most of the time the ebay store person is a non techie and doesn't know the integrity of the parts , just money making business sometimes ..sadly

If the right raw material and right tools are there the labor cost is very affordable here
Pravin

kpke

An ebay seller listed an address close to me. I emailed him this

"Where do these fuel tanks come from? I am local to you and would like to come and take a look at this."

And the reply was

"Hi,

Thanks for your email.

Our manufacturing unit is in India and these items comes from there. We usually have them in stock, but due to the ongoing pandemic situation our inventory is depleted. These are made to order items and will be shipped to you once the order is placed.

Being an US based company we deal in top quality items and offer great after sales service. If there is any issue with the item received then you can deal locally with us instead of getting in touch with overseas sellers. The returns if any will also be handled locally, which saves a lot of time and cost for the buyers in any such instance.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

With rgds,
Vintage Bike USA"

With not much spare time to mess with "local" returns which probably would not go well, I will pass on these.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

85RZwade

I saw the video but tried to be open minded; one example, right? But looking at tanks on eBay shows a bunch of listings with prices all over using the same picture. Makes me uneasy, and lends credence in my mind to the seller scenarios mentioned above. Pass.
I post waayyy too much