Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Might EFI my 1976 RD400 this winter

Started by rd400canuck, October 11, 2021, 11:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Quote from: m in sc on December 14, 2021, 11:29:03 AM
It'll do it. Not me. But send it down i have stainless wire i'll tig it up.  :gentleman:

Oops!   lol didnt have my glasses on.

I'm going to give it a go this weekend with regular steel wire. It dioesnt have to be an ultra strong weld or look nice. just gotta be water tight so no oil leaks happen.

Got everything I need to weld the the parts together that are gonna hold the pump in the swing arm. Thank god I didnt set out to do it right away... as I was collecting parts I kept going over the plan in my head and the design got simpler and simpler. When you guys see it you'll think "ya, of course, how else would you do it?" but at first I was going to build a frame to hold it up and have cushion bearings holding the pump and part of the pump frame would extend to the swing arm pivot hold the pump back with threaded rods to adjust tension for the chain. Keep in mind I have to make it so the pump can rotate... it wont, obviously, but it has to be able to so that it can press down on the load cell as it wants to rotate itself. So... I had all kinds of cookoo ideas. The final plan is nice and simple and bare minimum and miles easier to build.

Also finishing up the code in the arduino that will manage the two stepper motors. I ordered a larger biopolar motor... its way faster. It can rotate 180 in a flash or step 1.8 degrees at a time with loads of torque. In the micro squirt there are parameters for acceleration fuel. It goes by how fast you twist the throttle and will squirt some extra fuel in... just like a accel pump on a carb but way more adjustable. With the faster stepper I can do a series of jabs at the throttle, all identical then compare which numbers gave me the most torque. Should have a nice throttle response after that.

As I have been saying... that's the plan anyways

rd400canuck

Well... I knew dealing with aliexpress would be a risk. They sent a full sized automotive efi pump and not the low amp draw 45lpg I ordered.

Should be fun dealing with these clowns in an effort to get what I order.. and waited 7 weeks to get.  :(

teazer

For the O2 sensor, you can use any Bosch 4.9 wide band as long as you fit it far enough away from the barrels and also from the outlet end of the pipe.  Mount it on a bung extender to move the tip out of the oily gas stream and mount it on the top of the pipe and you should be OK.

sav0r

Aliexpress is always an adventure. I avoid it, but sometimes I get tempted.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rd400canuck

Quote from: sav0r on December 22, 2021, 01:43:30 PM
Aliexpress is always an adventure. I avoid it, but sometimes I get tempted.

To be honest... after this ongoing experience, and from countless others after a google search,  I wonder why anyone would use that website at all. Its scammer central.

Not only did they send me the wrong pump... they sent me a cheap $12 car pump. I opened a dispute asking for my money back they literally replied "it's ok" and denied refund. Still another day to go before Aliexpress has to step in but it just shows me these dirtbags have no fear of aliepxress and their 'policies'. I wish I was in china so I could go find this guy and kick his teeth in. I knew this might not go smoothly but I never realized just how bad it can get. Time will tell if I even get my money back.

I'll never use that site again, obviously, but i have to wonder why Aliexpress allows such blatant scamming to run so rampant. They must be losing so many potential users of their site and losing profit.

m in sc

yeah... aliexpress no way. these days, its like the industrial version of 'wish'.

sav0r

I've had decent luck on their actually, though most recently I ordered half a dozen of one item and only got two. lol

They were the right items, and they sent the remaining four. I have had better luck on AliBaba, which while they are the same company, are directed less to consumers and more to industry. So they don't like disputing items because they are trying to make legit volume contacts. That said, it's still pretty sketchy.

I've had a few items that I wanted from the Ali sites turn up on Amazon and eBay recently. Those sites of course have good consumer protections.

RDFL

rd400canuck

Found a pump that draws 5amps so around 60watts or so. More than I was hoping but the Vape's output should be able to keep up with it. I'll keep trying to get my paws on a low draw 25lph from china but good grief... its like every scammer on the planet lives there.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/274988032154

It's rated for 30lph so more than enough for me. At least I can get one on this continent and not have to deal with those scumbag sellers in china.

Pics of the pump setup coming soon. Its pretty much all done just wanna test fit it. Bought a Lincoln fluxcore welder from my bro for $50.. its brand new. Its not a true mig but it'll be fine for me and the stuff I'm doing. I laid a bead on some metal he had here and it sounded good, no crazy spatter like I imagined and the weld look awesome so I'm happy with getting it.

rd400canuck

Update time...

Got the pump frame sorted out and hooked up all the fitting and hoses. I scored a flux core welder from my bro.... took a little practice lol welds are nasty. Havent got oil in the system yet. Need to get the exhausts back on and slowly start testing. After Im happy with the way it operates and isnt leaking anywhere I'll add the microsquirt and wire that in and start the process. Once thats working I'll add the CHT and EGT, load sensor to measure torque and probably the O2 and start logging some runs to see what the numbers are on current carbs.

I\ build the frame that holds the pump so that it can rotate a little so that it can push on the load sensor.

rd400canuck

Gonna be a lot of trial and error to get all this working properly.

First I put the valve in facing the wrong way. I just looked and saw an arrow and assumed it meant flow direction. Did a run and had no control over pressure. Turns out it says "free flow" in arrow direction. Reversed it and tried again. Ended up giving the back of the bike a shower in hydraulic fluid.

When I disassembled the pump to reverse its rotation weeks ago I managed to put the end seals on facing the high side. During first test it blew oil past the shaft seal and make a mess. I'm kicking myself because I suspected I might have but them in the wrong way but I went ahead and tried anyways. Took it apart, reversed them, checked the keyed shaft seal and it looked ok as well so did another run.. no leaks this time.

I turned the throttle stops in to allow engine to rev to 4000 rpm... turned in valve to bog engine down and all was well... had it held at 1500 rpm. Lots of resolution in the valve to. Gave it some throttle and it broke a weld in the frame I made. Twisted it apart. Was a crappy weld but it showed me I need to beef that frame up and weld it thoroughly. Id hate to be at 7000 rpm one day and have it do that. Would be ugly.

Away for the weekend but next week I should be able to make a stronger mounting frame and do some more test runs.

I guess if I aint breaking stuff I aint learning.

rd400canuck

Well... welded the frane up really well and had another run and bad news. Around 1200 psi and at aroind 2000 rpm it took the frame and twisted like a pretzel. I think im gonna have to build and engine cradle out of square steel tube to hold the motor out of the bike and do it that way. There just isnt enough room for a beefier pump mount between the swingarm. I feel a little deflated..its turning into a far bigger job than i anticipated.

sav0r

rd400canuck

Quote from: rd400canuck on January 11, 2022, 05:09:10 PM
Well... welded the frane up really well and had another run and bad news. Around 1200 psi and at aroind 2000 rpm it took the frame and twisted like a pretzel. I think im gonna have to build and engine cradle out of square steel tube to hold the motor out of the bike and do it that way. There just isnt enough room for a beefier pump mount between the swingarm. I feel a little deflated..its turning into a far bigger job than i anticipated.

LOL good one!  Thank you for reminding me.

I think I figured out how to keep it in the swingarm....   its the torque arm that is under all the load and its causing the mount to twist under load. I'm going to remake the mount as it is... then create a torque arm that will bolt on the back side of the 2 mounting holes for the pump. That will there will be no twisting force on the mount and it wont twist.

rd400canuck

just a little update for you guys... I was looking at the frame I built that hold the pump in place and i began to see that not only was it twisted from the torque of the pump... but it was pulled forward. makes sense now that I think about it... the chain is literally trying to pull it inwards. The shaft on the chain side was bent backwards at the assy got pulled in. It was not a thick shaft, i need one that would sit in a bushing and that bushing need to fit in the axle hole so I was limited.

So now I think Id better build a frame that the pump can mount to solidly and have it coupled to the counter shaft with one of those flex couplers that has the rubber spider between the two. I just need to find one that has a 6 spline... all the ones at my local places are all made for keyed shaft.