This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Seeking New Rider Advice

Started by msr, October 14, 2021, 02:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msr

Hi everyone,

We have a new rider in the family - an 18-year-old guy - who will be getting his first bike this month. We're giving him my 2009 TU250X to get him started and comfortable. He's taken Georgia's weekend training course but doesn't have a ton of experience otherwise beyond riding an old CB around his grandfather's farm. He's been driving in suburban Atlanta since he was 16 and is good with a manual transmission.

If he were your kid, what sort of advice would you give him about riding safely? I recall a thread recently about keeping your bike in gear at stoplights in case you have to move fast. I guess it's that kind of thing I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Arrow

ALWAYS be ready for drivers to come out of side turns into his path, is what I'd tell him.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

m in sc

yup. everyone's trying to kill you whether they mean to or not.

Arrow

Quick glance over the shoulder is worth 1000 mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SoCal250

Quote from: m in sc on October 14, 2021, 02:56:19 PM
yup. everyone's trying to kill you whether they mean to or not.
+1

My thinking is: Every other vehicle on the road is out to kill me. I keep my head on a swivel, and in traffic I think to myself "What's the stupidest maneuver this car near me could possibly do right now?" (Because they usually do it rather after I answer myself).
I don't know how drivers are in GA, but if they're anything like So Cal you need to plan for the unexpected and be on high alert for idiots and people not paying attention.

Also, in traffic try to stay out of people's blind spots (don't linger off the rear driver's quarter panel), either slow down to get sufficiently behind the car or pick up the pace so you're just ahead of the driver's shoulder or in front of the car.

When stopped at a 4-way traffic light, when your light turns green don't be the first out into the intersection. Look both ways first, then proceed. A lot of drivers these days try to beat the yellow/red and fail, blowing through intersections when it's green for crossing traffic.

Also when stopped at a stop sign or light I keep checking my mirrors or glancing over my shoulder to make sure the car behind me isn't rolling up on me or that the car approaching from behind is actually going to stop in time.

That's my :twocents: I may come up with some more later
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Striker1423

Maintain a good following distance behind everyone (in other words, don't tailgate people). Unlike in a car, you should DEFINITELY worry about who's behind you when you're stopping as well.

pdxjim

When stopped in traffic, stay off to the side of the cars in front of you, and not directly behind.

If you get rearended, it's MUCH safer to get pushed between the cars in front of you, instad of squashed between bumpers.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

msr

These are all great suggestions. Thanks, everyone, and please keep them coming!

pidjones

You are a TARGET. ATGATT works! Double the following distance you think that you need.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

dgorms

If you're experienced let him ride with you for a while. I just assume every car on the road is actually intent on killing me! I always try to make eye contact with drivers at 4 way stops and other go, or no go situations. Also look far ahead for what traffic is doing. I was scared to death when my son started street riding but he has heeded my advice and logged many trouble free miles..............D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

747drvr

never ever tailgate a woman or an elderly driver. you will only make them nervous, and they will stomp on the brakes when they lose sight of you!! usually when you are trying to pass them!! learned the hard way !! :whistle: :whistle:

Seizer

https://z2trackdays.com/rr20/

Something like this. A friend went to both sessions and he had really good things to say about the experiences.

Ws76133

My father's best friend started riding on Harleys and Indians in the late 1920s, and he taught me to ride in the mid '60s.  After the basics on mastering clutch, brake, gas and the tire friction circle, he passed on wisdom that has worked for 54 years on motorcycles:

1.  Assume you're invisible, because to a lot of drivers, you are.
2.  If they could see you, they'd be out to get you.  And in 1967, a lot of them kinda were...

In 54 years, I've only been down twice.  Thanks, Edwin...

1976RD400C

Keep headlight on high beam during daytime riding.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Czakky

Always plan an escape route. "When this car does x, what's my move?"

Watch the wheels on vehicles about to pull into traffic. Often times you'll see the wheels move before the car.

I flash my lights if I see a vehicle that I question if they see me. It's less offensive than honking your horn.

Read twist of the wrist!

Remember you are a steward of motorcycles and don't be a douche. Always try to be respectful even if riding your two stroke hooligan machine!