Started by patastinky, October 21, 2021, 11:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patastinky

1975 RD350 (under construction)

m in sc

patastinky

Quote from: m in sc on October 21, 2021, 12:34:17 PM
i mean.. its cheap. But... its cheap.

So basically not worth the money gotcha thanks I'll grab something from Eco then

m in sc

to be honest, ive run cheap chains and sprockets on some bikes, usually the weak link (ha) is the chain.

SoCal250

While you're replacing why not take the opportunity to upgrade to a 520?  :twocents:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

patastinky

Quote from: SoCal250 on October 21, 2021, 02:57:32 PM
While you're replacing why not take the opportunity to upgrade to a 520?  :twocents:

I would need a 520 chain and sprocket right? I had no idea that was an upgrade I was just ripping and replacing.

85RZwade

Might as well lose some weight while you're changing out chain and sprockets. Opens up more choices for chains while you're at it .
I post waayyy too much

1976RD400C

I'm impressed with the gold 520 chain that Economy sells. I've never had to adjust it since it was installed.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

sav0r

I did the Economy sprockets (not real happy with the short gearing, i'd prefer stock final drive) and the quality is great. I decided on a DID X-ring chain, and while I hated spending the cash ($80), here I am 5 years later and everything is working awesome. I have several thousands of miles on the chain and sprockets and it is all in great shape, I do clean them often. O-ring chains tend to be a bit stiff, but they do last fantastically, especially if you get caught out in the wet like tends to happen in the Northeast.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Economy Cycle John

Quote from: sav0r on October 22, 2021, 09:32:30 PM
I did the Economy sprockets (not real happy with the short gearing, i'd prefer stock final drive) and the quality is great.

Good to know. With the kits we sell the rear is 39T and I think stock was 40, but the front sprocket we send with a 14t and I've thought about changing it to a 15T.  Any feedback from others would be appreciated. We do offer any sizes you want in individual sprockets but for the kit we just want to do what most RD guys/gals would want for a street application.
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

m in sc

id offer it as an option for sure. hell, i ran a  17 on the r5

Striker1423

I ran mine with a 15 when I ordered it cause I wanted some better top end.

sav0r

Pulling out was never an issue for me, so what does moving the rev range 1/3 (guessing, didn't do the math) of a gear change actually achieve? Just a slightly higher RPM at cruise in 6th. Seems like a negative to me. I tend to believe it's sort of a Band-Aid for bad carb tuning?
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

just sort of depends on what you want to do with the bike i suppose. some people don't cruise on their rds but just rip around on them. Local 'kid' (29) has a 14 on his and loves doing ridiculous wheelies on his. never takes the bike over 75 mph though.