(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Spark plug fouling

Started by mewherman, October 21, 2021, 09:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

Hawaii-Mike

Quote from: RustyRD on November 01, 2021, 09:32:45 PM
Ohm's law will give you the answer. Voltage divided by resistance equals current. It does not take much with all the bullet connectors to add up . Poor ground at the battery and at the coil ,a little rust here some corrosion there and next thing you have a circuit that may have 50 to 200 ohms resistance    12v/50ohms=.24 milli amps of current.. nothing near what an ignition at full song would need. A thorough check of the entire circuit is needed. Try one of the online ohms law calculator to see the dramatic effect resistance will have of current available.
Great point!

pidjones

I've had problems between good-looking connectors and the wires they are crimped onto. Really important on battery leads. I think some people avoid Ohm's law because it requires math, and they swore they would never use math after school. Maybe the apps will help, but not if it requires scientific notation.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

RustyRD

Lol your right, my point being is the root cause of these problems can be sneaky and are a pain in the butt .i was out on a ride this summer when on of my older bikes quit running in top gear middle of the road, pulled over tried to restarting no good,,moved the kill switch a couple of times, and it started right up.

teazer

Quote from: RustyRD on November 02, 2021, 07:00:18 AM
Lol your right, my point being is the root cause of these problems can be sneaky and are a pain in the butt .i was out on a ride this summer when on of my older bikes quit running in top gear middle of the road, pulled over tried to restarting no good,,moved the kill switch a couple of times, and it started right up.

And that is why it's a good idea to spray WD40 into the switches and work them back and forth a few times before you ride or at least on a semi regular basis. My bikes don't see a lot of road time so corrosion inside switches is a high probability and easy to fix.

There are probably better solutions with special grease and so on, but I have too many bikes and never enough time, so it works for me.

mewherman

Hey, I haven't been on this site in a while. I just wanted to say that I replaced all the OEM ignition parts with new parts from Economy cycle and the bike hasn't fouled any plugs since that time, although I honestly have not ridden it much.

It occasionally will have a very hard time starting after sitting for any length of time, it seems to fill the crankcase with oil, and you have to kick it and clean the plugs and kick it etc for ages until it fires up.

I rode it today after getting it going, Theoretically it should do 100mph I think, but the performance is a little sub par, I only got like 85-90 out of it. No idea how accurate the speedo is. The seat of the pants feels like it's a little sluggish compared to my rd350.

I rebuilt this engine and it has very few miles on it. it's an r5 with six speed and the cylinders were ported by someone when I got them. This may affect performance if it was done improperly, as I had no way to judge if they were ported well or not.   

m in sc

thats about right for r5 cyls. mine always signed off dead at 7k-7200, watched it on a dyno, even with chambers.

Economy Cycle John

PM me your name and I'll check on them. I know we're out of 400 points, but pretty sure R5's are here.

What plugs/heat range are you running?
Float height
leaky float needle/seat

www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag