News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Rack

Started by RDFL, October 27, 2021, 05:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Haha that's too funny. But awesome at the same time.

pidjones

Made by fired Enfield people?
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pdxjim

The rack is ok, but a "saree guard" is what you really need to complete the look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313415292120?hash=item48f901d4d8:g:kjEAAOSwUhJgJT9W

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Striker1423

Those have to be for when there's 3 people on those bikes. or a lady with a dress.

Striker1423

Quote from: Striker1423 on November 11, 2021, 07:59:07 AM
Those are for those saree dresses. Don't need to disrobe a lady with a spoked wheel.

m in sc

"Don't need to disrobe a lady with a spoked wheel."

we can agree to disagree here.   :eek: :dawg:

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on November 11, 2021, 10:33:20 AM
"Don't need to disrobe a lady with a spoked wheel."

we can agree to disagree here.   :eek: :dawg:

:haw:

m in sc

so i mounted this turd up last night.

1st, i had to flatten the slotted tabs that went to the 10mm grabrail bolts.  then i had to twist the steel bar it was on about 15 degrees.. i cant believe the plating hasn't flaked off (yet) I still had to bend the RH lower part out more, then tweak the shit out of the left and the ears to get it sort of straight. luckily i have soft jaws for the vice so i didnt damage the plating. The mousetrap hinge thing is a whole other ball of wax. pretty sure thats going to go away, and the tabs that it pivots on will be bent down to become hooks for small bungees. I did decrease the tension by bending the springs a bit but its just fucked.   :huh:

the top bar is just crooked as hell. the 2 legs under the top are unequal length and the top bar is 5 or so degrees off. my plan is to cut it down a bit as its also ridiculously tall, and re attach it -level- to the stubs left on the main structure.

I rode the t500 yesterday, so i had a rack on rack incident to get it home. the quality of the 50 year old nos rack on the t500 vs this pile of scrap is pretty funny.

this is it in all its glory.  :haw: :clownshoes:

Striker1423

The sheer tenacity you had to install this deserves a trophy alone. The laughter this has induced deserves another round of applause.

Bravo sir!

Kawtriplefreak

Sweet. I just passed on a decent used one ( not from India) on flea Bay. It had wooden slats for cross pieces.

m in sc

yeah, i'm no fan of the 'wood' ones. the old all steel one i had on there (still have) may go back on at some point. its good, just a mile long. Or maybe i'll make one out of stainless down the road. not sure. cant be worse than this thing.  :dawg:

pdxjim

Rack's catch a lot of flack, but anyone who rides further than the local Starbucks knows their value.

I've done over 100mph on my TDR with 2 cases of beer on the rack.

Not known for my wise decisions.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

yup. 

m in sc

so, i finally gave in and cut the upper loop off and made a low-bar to tie shit to. there was just no saving the original one. so i drilled out the bar where the tube came into, and then masked off and painted (silver) the tops so it wont rust that fast. then took a solid bar of stainless and some long m6 coupling nuts, sort of coped them with the die grinder and then turned the end down so it would slip into the rack stubs. cut the stainless bar and faced it on the lathe. tacked the upper bar on, took it back off, welded it and then cleaned it up.  bolted back in thru drilled holes with m6 counterink screws. Its very solid. also man-handled the mousetrap a bit more and got it straighter.  :toot:

fucking done.  :toot:

msr

Looking forward to seeing this abomination in person. And maybe stealing the bike, too.