News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Rearset install

Started by bheezy27403, November 05, 2021, 09:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bheezy27403

I ordered a set of rearsets from Mark @ Speed of Cheese Racing. Great piece of kit. Side note I also ordered the top yolk and tried to order the nut for the yolk but it kept saying sold out. Mark emailed me and even though I couldn't order it from the site he threw it in my already existing order free of charge. THANK YOU.

As for the installation of the rearsets it was a bit of a bigger task than expected. I had a couple questions and Mark answered very quickly. He even got back to me as he remembered stuff about the install (said it's been many years since he put them on his bikes). Very, very cool of him. Full disclosure I'm the type that will run into problems of my own making when working on my bikes so I'm sure a more seasoned wrench could have avoided a few of the pitfalls I encountered. But alas with some grinding here and cutting there I got them installed. Only to find out the KICKER LEVER WON'T CLEAR THE FOOTPEG!! Ugh. So back off they came so I can ride until I do some more projects this winter when the CB is the main mule.

I'm assuming there are offset kickers designed to go around this sort of mod or do I need to try to bend one?

Thanks again Mark!!

m in sc

get an reproduction rz one, use the upper part on the rd knuckle

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on November 05, 2021, 09:48:56 PM
get an reproduction rz one, use the upper part on the rd knuckle

This. I need to modify my aftermarket one cause the bottom bolt hits the rear brake arm every kick. So I went from scratching my pipe to scratching the brake lever lol. Good thing I gave up caring about both parts at this point.

rodneya

bheezy27403

Thank you guys for the info. Ordered. I'll slap the rearsets back on when I do the cockpit makeover and get the tins painted. Cold weather projects.

Striker1423

Rodneya this is the one that hits the brake pedal. Might want to see if the kick lever will mount up to the stock arm to avoid this.

bheezy27403

Quote from: Striker1423 on November 06, 2021, 11:50:52 AM
Rodneya this is the one that hits the brake pedal. Might want to see if the kick lever will mount up to the stock arm to avoid this.

We're gonna find out.

rodneya

Quote from: Striker1423 on November 06, 2021, 11:50:52 AM

Thats going to depend on the type of rear sets you are running. Ive never used this, but it does mention it will work wit FFP models. Also New and improved for greater clearance between the kick starter and the foot peg.
The cheese ones the OP has look fairly small.
I bent my old kicker to clear when I had rear sets on and it was quite a bit of work to get it done. Now I have GSXR rear sets and a stupid little banshee kicker that is a royal pain to kick

m in sc

thats basically an rz kicker. it clears my solid pegs on the hybrid

m in sc

maybe its the newer sr400 one they are selling? either way, few years back there was an in depth discussion at the gap meet about it.  But my rz kicker clears mine . even if its a hair off, better to bend a little than a lot.  :devil:

Makr

Thanks Brian.

On this 350 I bent the kicker with a big wrench and torch.

I do have some billet ones I'm working on but this first design is still closer to the peg than I want so I'm redoing them.

oxford

^^^^.  I did the same thing for fast from the past rearsets.  Heat up the stock kicker and give it a bend.  They recommend and include a picture in the instructions to do this.