News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Shifting gears... bought a Rotus

Started by hayduke, November 13, 2021, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayduke

Greetings. So I came to the realization the bikes in the garage just aren't bringing the joy they used to, plus I'm cresting the hill and wanted to try some different paths...

So I bought a Rotus 7!

I won a recent auction on BAT for the car (or at least a very similar car) of my childhood dreams. The Rotus was built from ~1982-1992 by a Toyota dealer/racer in Maryland. Patterned on the Lotus 7, it's a few inches longer and wider to accommodate chunky americans, it uses many off the shelf Toyota parts and could be had with the small engine of your choice up to a Buick 3.5L aluminum V8, they built ~70 cars total. This one has the 2.3L Ford (Pinto) motor with dual sidedraft webers and a lumpy cam.

Now I just have to get it home and that's where the quandary begins...

The seller is including a bunch of spare parts, rotors, springs, calipers, complete rear (live) axle assembly, etc.. "enough to fill the back of a pickup" was their initial guestimate. Most auto transport companies won't ship parts, some say I can lock things in the trunk, but this car doesn't have a trunk. 

So I'm weighing my options on how to get the car and the spares, ~2400 miles round trip Savannah Georgia to Austin Tx... (mostly just thinking out loud)

1. Find a shipper who can get the car and the spares, assuming the seller will box/crate them sufficiently (maybe $2000)

2. Ship the car only (~$1000-$2000) and drive the pickup to get the spares, ~$800 in gas alone

3. Rent an enclosed trailer locally and go get it all, I'm overdue for a road trip. (<-- this might be my best option)

4. Uhaul car trailer would be great but they don't seem to offer one-way rentals on them.

I'm pretty stoked, and my birthday is next week  :toot:

If you made it this far, I'll be listing the RD and 2004 V-Strom for sale soon...

85RZwade

If we're voting, I'm for option #3...but keep the RD, man!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

road trip and keep the rd.. you'll regret selling it. impractical sports/specialty cars are fun but they aren't bikes. even one of those. and congrats.  :toot: