This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1975 Yamaha RD350 fork swap

Started by 4schizzle, December 02, 2021, 10:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4schizzle

Quote from: Striker1423 on December 05, 2021, 11:02:32 AM
oh gawd Mark no kidding, one good pry and you'd need case halves.... gives me the heeby jeebies.

I alway's link to this for the first time motor rebuilds, cause it really helped me.
https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=25398.0

Thanks for a the info.  I'm sure when I split the cases i will need some more help.  The bike has been stored inside for the past 45 years.  It turns over and has compression.  The skirt of one of the pistons has some scratches that you can grab with your fingernail.  Need to pull the cylinders off and take a look. 

Thanks for the link to the motor rebuild. 

RDFL

You will want to split anyway to replace the old crank seals.

m in sc

Quote from: RDFL on December 06, 2021, 02:45:53 PM

yup. do it now or regret it later.

4schizzle

Quote from: RDFL on December 06, 2021, 02:45:53 PM

That's what i was thinking as it has been sitting for years and I'm sure they are hard and leaking. 

Any good rebuild kits out there for the RD's? Or what brands of parts to buy.   I see that Yamaha still sells a lot of the parts. 

Thanks 

Striker1423

Seals and gaskets? Yamaha if possible. Economy Cycle sells them and can hook you up with all you will need.

85RZwade

:stupid-1:... I mean,   :agree:! Definitely Yamaha for seals and head gaskets, but I'd feel OK about other gaskets from reputable aftermarket suppliers.
I post waayyy too much

4schizzle

Quote from: 85RZwade on December 02, 2021, 03:52:14 PM
I can tell you that I am putting a '97 GSX-R600 front end on my '75 RD350 and bought those bearings from All Balls. The bearing kit came with two spacers and a dust seal; it's too early to say for sure, but it appears to be plug-n-play. Steering stops will need to be modified, but everything else appears to be falling into place.

85RZwade got mine mounted. Looks to close to plug and play. You were right

4schizzle

Quote from: 85RZwade on December 02, 2021, 03:52:14 PM
I can tell you that I am putting a '97 GSX-R600 front end on my '75 RD350 and bought those bearings from All Balls. The bearing kit came with two spacers and a dust seal; it's too early to say for sure, but it appears to be plug-n-play. Steering stops will need to be modified, but everything else appears to be falling into place.

85RZwade

Top shelf! It seems you've passed me around the outside; I'm still playing around with wheel spacers.
What hub is that?
What's your plan for the steering stop(s)? I think I'll weld an extension onto the frame stop.
Love to see your progress  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

4schizzle

Quote from: 85RZwade on December 19, 2021, 10:08:44 AM
Top shelf! It seems you've passed me around the outside; I'm still playing around with wheel spacers.
What hub is that?
What's your plan for the steering stop(s)? I think I'll weld an extension onto the frame stop.
Love to see your progress  :thumbs:
2008 and up or sportster or dyna.  They have  a 25mm axle.  I don't need a front brake to flat track. I know that Harley is a bad word here, but I built  a ironhead sportster to flat track and knew the axle sizes.  When i seen in your post about the 99 gsxr had a 25mm axle i knew that wheel i was using. 

With the sportster/dyna hub you have 21/19 options. Or probably more. 

I am just going to weld an extenstion on the fork stop.  Need to get a tank first. 

4schizzle

I also ordered a top triple clamp from cognito moto with bar mount for 1 1/8 bars.  I will mount and post pic. 

4schizzle

What are the best reeds and intakes for my rd350?

Thanks

85RZwade

:omg: you might as well have asked about religion, politics or the dreaded two stroke oil! Brace for impact. I went with OEM Yamaha YZ85 cages and TDR reeds; cages are cheap and plentiful on eBay and require very little modification to the cylinders to fit.
I post waayyy too much

irk_miller

Late to the convo, but I'm running CB900f forks with progressive springs, emulators and nitrogen charge, plus a Radian swing arm on my RD350.

85RZwade

Pictures, man, push-leez! Was the Radian 'arm a direct fit?
I post waayyy too much