News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What exhaust to buy?

Started by 85RZwade, December 09, 2021, 12:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

The short version is: can anyone give me a reason NOT to order a set of Lomas street racers from Economy for my '75 RD350 (Ritter-massaged cylinders and heads, HPI iggy, 28mm PWKs and RD400 transmission)?
I know, I take forever to decide these things  :clownshoes:
I post waayyy too much

Hawaii-Mike

I have Jim Lomas pipes on my H2 and they are the best pipes I've ever had on it.  I've tried about five sets of H2 chambers.

RD - let's see what others have to say. 

m in sc

nope. do it. I have lomas pipes on the lc. love them.

pdxjim

I would put JL and Spec2 at the top of the list.

Decide which ones you like better and pull the trigger.

Even though I'm not currently running them, I have no complaints whatsoever about the JL's on my TDR (I just like the Martin77 pipes better, they feel like they make more midrange power, and the bike is way easier to work on, even though everyone else thinks they look stupid, I like them and that's all that really matters anyway, but that's really beside the point, coz you're asking about JL's on an RD350B, not a TDR, so nevermind :)).
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Thanks for the input, and keep it comin', please! I think your TDR pipes are way bitchin'
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

specII f1s, IMHO, are power wise really similar to the lomas pipes i have, but the lomas pipes do seem to have more mid range punch.  i did run them back to back on the same bike btw.

RDFL

The Lomas look much better than SpecII's too.

pdxjim

Quote from: RDFL on December 09, 2021, 04:19:42 PM
The Lomas look much better than SpecII's too.

Tough to beat the looks of the JL's, and the thin wall stainless sounds amaZING!
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

RDFL

Don't know anything about performance (very curios though) the K2tec 2 into 1's look cool.

Jspooner

Quote from: m in sc on December 09, 2021, 04:12:04 PM
specII f1s, IMHO, are power wise really similar to the lomas pipes i have, but the lomas pipes do seem to have more mid range punch.  i did run them back to back on the same bike btw.

I agree on the "mid range punch" of the JLs but I think the Spec II F1s deliver smoother and pull higher Rrrrrrs which in my opinion makes for a better pipe. The JLs are a better looking pipe off the bike but I think the spec IIs look better on the bike. My opinion of course and I also think the JLs sound better.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Dvsrd

Yes, looks is definitely about personal preference. I have a pair of Allspeeds, and also a pair  of Higgspeed pipes (Which honestly look like a carbon copy of the Allspeeds) Both sets hang lower than I like.
To me, the JL pipes seem to hang lower than Spec2, so are more likely to get dings from curbs etc. Maybe the JLs also have a larger mid sections diameter?
Anyway, the JLs sound super crisp, while Spec2 do not quite sound as nice.

paul1478

For my ear hands down JL. Power I don't know never road a bike with them on.
Chuck told me go buy spec2 F1 so I did.

76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

85RZwade

I absolutely appreciate all the input, and I'm discussing silencer end cap options with Economy. JL shows a new? end cap with a larger diameter, angled outlet that I like, and Economy is looking into availability. Just had a little windfall at work yesterday, so it feels like time to buy  :burnout:

https://www.jl-exhausts.com/yamaha-rd350--400-ac-stainless-steel-silencer-3079-p.asp
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

I mean, a lot also depends on overall tune as well. they are very comparable though. But the build quality of the j&ls are def more... advanced.

cant go wrong either way though.

rodneya