News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Howdy, bringing back an R5 from the dead.

Started by RD4140, December 17, 2021, 08:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD4140

Hi fellow smokers.

I'd always wanted a street two-stroke bike. I grew up with a Suzuki TS90 back home (Australia), and always loved the two stroke vibe. Anyway, I'm an adult and live in Oregon now. I've been playing with old Hondas and Harleys mostly but came across an old R5 in the mud of a junkyard in Olympia. Definitely not close to running, mostly just a frame and motor.

So with the little bit of know how I have, I've got some carbs and rebuilt them and ordered seals and gaskets for the motor. Everything in there spins freely, so fingers crossed there's not a tonne to do. I dropped the oil out of it and it's surprisingly clean. Inside the cylinders looks to be in decent condition too. I don't have a way to get a number on compression but it's definitely able to suck and blow.

Anyway ... so I know I've done this arse about, but I was given a set of Triumph Thruxton wheels for very cheap. I don't think they're anything special, and I'd have to rotate the rear wheel (Sprockets on the riders right) but they've got my favourite feature .. "cheap".

MY QUESTION IS, can anyone recommend a swing arm and forks that will take the slightly wider Thruxton set up? I am a machinist / welder my trade so all manner of modifications are possible. I'd just like to not hack the frame at this point, would rather hack at an eBay swingarm and forks off another more modern 'dime a dozen' bike. I figured if I can get the swingarm and forks sorted for <$300 I'll be happy. I can easily fab up a bracket for a calliper too.

So yeah .. starting point - making my new wheels fit. Suggestions welcome.

85RZwade

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on the junkyard find (in my backyard! How did I not find that?). I can tell you that RD350, RD350LC, RZ350 and '81-'83 TZ250 swingarms are all the same width at the front and pivot axle diameter. FZ600 is a bit wider at the pivot but easy to narrow and will accept more tire; do you know what size tire you will run back there?
I am fitting a GSX-R600 fork to my RD and it's looking like a good fit with a couple of appropriate bearings from All Balls. '97 conventional fork, cartridge, 45mm and accepts the 6-piston caliper(s) from the TL1000R. I'm just up the road in Chehalis if I can help.
I post waayyy too much

RD4140

Right on man.

The rear tire is 130/80 17". So not a big wheel at all. I think it comes to 8 1/4" inches from outter hub to outter face of rotor. Worst case I can fabricate something myself but I'll look into that options you listed. Thanks!

m in sc

fzr600 or 400 is a good option. i have an fzr400 on the back of mine. also, its a bit longer so beware. I added twin shock mounts and narrowed the swingarm but its been on there 15? years. Im running a 130 rear as well on laced sun rims. off set sprocket ft will be needed as well and it gets TIGHT but can be done.

teazer

How wide does it need to be across the front end?  I have a GS500 swinger here that you can have for mates's rates.  I bought it for a GT750 project and ended up using a TL1000 instead.  PM me.

BTW, our local store just started selling Tim Tams (made in OZ).  If you find a good source for crumpets, I'd love to hear it.

RD4140

Quote from: teazer on December 17, 2021, 12:10:32 PM
If you find a good source for crumpets, I'd love to hear it.

Honestly it was easier to find a 50 year old motorcycle than good crumpets. I've found some here and there, but nothing that really comes close to the ones back home in texture.

dgorms

I happen to have a few boxes of R-5 spares, let me know what you need!.............................Wade, how did I not find that :umm:
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

RD4140

One problem (of many) that I have, is I'm looking for good modern(ish) forks that aren't too beefy, possibly not USD, yet aren't designed for clip ons.

I would much rather prefer conventional bar mounts. I guess in my head I'm thinking something along the lines of the Bonneville, W800 etc style. Maybe even something a little different like the style the Ducati Scrambler had.

Can anyone think of a bike model that could donate forks that suit?

Edit: I guess I can always modify the top clamp easily enough, I'd just rather not start cutting holes in something that wasn't designed to have it.

pdxjim

Unfortunately, it appears Strumpet's Crumpets in Milwaukie OR has shut it's doors.

Twas owned by an acquaintance of mine.  No idea the authenticity of the product, but knowing Tony, I'm sure they were damn good.

BTW I'm here in Portland too.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

RD4140

Quote from: pdxjim on December 18, 2021, 02:14:30 AM
BTW I'm here in Portland too.

Well howdy neighbour.

I was going to try and get this bike up and running by the next Alley Sweeper, but I think that time line is too ambitious haha.

I looked up the crumpet place you mentioned and I'm kicking myself as I must have gone past it 90000000000 times while it was still there. Such is life.

m in sc

I have fzr forks with radian? fj? uppers  on mine. not super modern but leap years ahead of stock rd forks. just an option.

RD4140

Quote from: m in sc on December 18, 2021, 08:32:28 AM
I have fzr forks with radian? fj? uppers  on mine. not super modern but leap years ahead of stock rd forks. just an option.

I like it. The eBay prices are definitely up my alley, leave a bit of room in the budget to buy/make a better upper clamp.

m in sc

you can kind of get an idea here. i did have to make an upper tree and mess with the stem, and wheel bushings etc.

but its really good.

this was it with stock fzr uppers. too long, hence why i went with the fj? upper ones.

now nick p grafted a sportster set of forks onto his at one point.. i dont have any pics but they were 41mm and actually worked really well for him. so, theres options.

pdxjim

Quote from: RD4140 on December 18, 2021, 08:10:19 AM
Well howdy neighbour.

I was going to try and get this bike up and running by the next Alley Sweeper, but I think that time line is too ambitious haha.

I looked up the crumpet place you mentioned and I'm kicking myself as I must have gone past it 90000000000 times while it was still there. Such is life.

We haven't set a date for the Alley Sweeper yet, so you may (or may not) be in luck, depending on your timeline. 

My club sang-froidridingclub.com started that ride way back in 2009.  We've promoted it, dis-owned it, and re-adopted it a few times thru the years as our's, and the general public's, enthusiasm has waxed and waned.

Anyway, we've got quite a stable of RD parts and parts bikes laying around, so if you're needing some small (or large) esoteric bit(s), give me a shout and I'll put the word out.

For those out da loop:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A