News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Howdy, bringing back an R5 from the dead.

Started by RD4140, December 17, 2021, 08:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD4140

I did the Sweeper last year on a 78' Honda CB125s. A pretty darn fun day.

All the bumping around made my headlight break in half through, so lesson learned - take a roll of duct tape next time.

EDIT: Well, it was this year I guess.

pdxjim

Haha, yup.

I've done it on my TDR and on my plated 300XCW.

TDR is super sketchy on supersport tires, and the 300 is way too easy.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

dgorms

Looks like a Hoot! Keep us in the loop for the next one.
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

IR8D8R

Guy in the bathrobe has that "I just called the cops" look to him.

IR8D8R

pdxjim

Quote from: IR8D8R on December 23, 2021, 12:57:06 PM

IR8D8R

We've been doing this long enough the cops are totally chill.  These alleys are all (well, mostly) public-rights-of-way, and as long as we keep to the 15mph limit, all is cool.

Had a gun pulled on some riders last year by an irate neighbor.  Things didn't end well for him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/moh3dh/alley_sweeper_went_about_as_expected_today/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

RD4140

Quote from: pdxjim on December 23, 2021, 02:56:50 PM
Quote from: IR8D8R on December 23, 2021, 12:57:06 PM

IR8D8R

Had a gun pulled on some riders last year by an irate neighbor.  Things didn't end well for him.

Duuude, I rode past this nutter and at the next stop my friend was like 'um, was that a guy with a gun ...' ... we could not believe what we saw. A little chilling, but crazies be crazy.

RD4140

So howdy again. Hope Xmas treated you all well, and if you're in the Northwest enjoying a little snow.

Looking for some feedback about what to do at the rear end of my R5.

The drive sprocket seems to be at about 75mm from the centreline of the bike. If I want to use this wheel off a Thruxton, it would make the new sprocket line be almost 95mm from the centreline, which is excessive. I believe the chain would be touching the frame at this point. I doubt there's even a sprocket that would give me a 20mm offset.

I'm considering taking the cush hub out of the Thruxton wheel I have and putting it in the lathe and machining down the face that the rear sprocket sits on. Essentially bringing it closer to the tyre. I have about 30mm clearance. Was thinking of taking off 10mm. Looking at it structurally, I don't think I'd be doing anything too sketchy. I would make up the rest of the difference with an offset sprocket at the front.

Has anyone done this, is it outlandish/barbaric or commons practice?

85RZwade

If you feel confident there's enough material in the cush drive to maintain structural integrity, it sounds reasonable to me...but I haven't done it. I thought about it, if that counts for anything.
I post waayyy too much

teazer

Someone had to do that to a GSXR and TL1000 rear wheel to fit in GT750 and then had to do that to a 6" wide R1 wheel for the drag GT750 and then have to add a different offset sprocket to work with the longer GS11000E transmission.

Split the difference.  Take as much as is practical off the sprocket carrier but make sure there's enough meat for the mounting studs/bolts.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do.  :whistle:

RD4140

Yeah, I figured it would be okay but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something fundamentally wrong.

The mounting points of the casting get wider as they go, so can't see it being less capable of taking those radial forces. And with the studs being threaded down into them, it looks like they're solid all the way through. No cavities on the rear face of anything..

Thanks for your input.

RD4140

I got some forks today, I think they're from a 2000 GSX-R 600.

They're a tad on the beefy side and will probably look odd on the skinny R5, but I'm gonna go with them until I find a better option. $110 and they're nice and straight, so a good building block regardless.

85RZwade

Can't beat that price!

And they appear to be the same as the '97 forks I'm using; inner tube part number is the same, according to Partzilla.
I post waayyy too much

RD4140

I feel like they're comically beefy, but what the heck I'll go with it  :umm:

I guess next I'll turn up the appropriate spacers for the stem, then bushings for the wheel spindle. Slowly but surely.

85RZwade

Different strokes, but when I mocked mine in place they looked just right to me. I believe they'll grow on you once there's a wheel, fender, headlight etc. in place. Go, man go!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

fyi the pic links arent working on my end.