Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Like stray cats i tell ya. 72 DS7

Started by m in sc, December 21, 2021, 11:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

The new tires you'll need are probably cheaper than the first vet bill. My last stray arrival was more than $600 before I let it out of the garage.

I'm sure the new owner is happy I sprung for that. The new cat did not play nice with the incumbent feline so it was passed along. The similarities are rather funny. I'm gonna use the stray cat analogy to my advantage... I have a $600 credit I figure.

Are you keeping it for the collection? 

IR8D8R

m in sc

its very similar thats for sure. and yes, much cheaper. lol.

I'll plan on keeping it for now I guess, depends, i haven't even ridden it yet. like the day before i was talking about paring down selling 2 of mine, the red concours and the 72 R5. then this came up. 

But it has the 'correct' mirror on it for the period, that's going on barney. considering the cosmetic stuff is all 'rider quality', painted chrome etc might be a good one to hang onto to mess around with.  I also told angie i could lower it a bit if she want so to try to ride it when shes not using her supercub.  Dunno. I'll dig into it some tonight. I also need ot get the cr motor rebuilt for the kawi. decisions decisions.
:bang: :toot:

TPR5

Kawtriplefreak

Re
Stray cats. Yes I can attest that Mark is a stray cat whisperer...
They actually listen to him and follow commands. Issac if I recall the name correctly used to sleep with me whenever I showed up for a visit.

m in sc

yup. that old bastard lived to be 21 yrs old.... and he did fetch on command. the white one is the other 'stray', Gwen, i had, she made it to 16.

m in sc

back on topic.. test ride yesterday went well. everything working, oil injection re-installed and working. def need to reset and tune but it's pretty good . def need tires, 50 year old Yokohama are not inspiring. :whistle: I didn't leave neighborhood though.

Striker1423

m in sc

for preventative, i went ahead and planned on replacing the LH seal regardless. when i pulled the alternator rotor off, you could see there was oil seeping out of the lip already very slight. so, I yanked the seal out and took these close up pics. you can still see the oil on the lower part of the cup.. that's from the motor . keep in mind, this bike ran just fine but this was a timebomb waiting to go off.

also, i included a pic of the ds7/r5 rotor, this shows where the timing marks are on these.

new:

m in sc

so update, got new tires on this, some IRC period tread tires, its never going to be a ripper but these seem good. needed to replace front rim as the old one looks like it hit a curb, got straightened and welded back. no bueno, so a good used one was procured from ebay and is now on bike.

bought new front and rear shoes from economy just due to age of ones in it, which actually looked new but were for sure original. didn't want to risk having a shoe liner come off... bad bad bad.  :eek:

dgorms  hooked me up, very graciously  :gentleman:, with a correct 26mm LH carb, so now that i had a matching set, i put them both back to stock, all fresh and cleaned.  also have new airbox joints coming so i can take it back to the land of bone stock tune wise.  yeah, i know but still.  :haw:

since im home all week quarantined from work (fine no issues for me, Angie feeling it a bit but not bad), I have tons of time. Of course, it iced and snowed over the weekend, so until today, wasn't even really keeping the garage door open, and the driveway was a sheet of ice.  :eek:  but today it hit almost 60 so much better wrenching day. AND more testrides.

last thing i needed to do was replace the clutch. I had a gasket set on hand, and a spare set of new fibers. went ahead and pulled cover off and... there was no old gasket. ffs. somebody had just used orange rtv on it.  :dawg: :bang: but had scraped the gasket away

so, replaced clutch, threw rubber rings out, checked everything in there, all good. replumbed oil pump with new lines and painted sidecover.

took out on testride close to home with uni in a y boot and it ran really good ! new brakes, tires, chain, proper tune and seems like a good one . still going to put airbox in but hopefully thats all the mechanical stuff adressed.

still in under 1k on this bike total.   :metal:

dgorms

Looking good Mark, nice resurrection!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

pidjones

"went ahead and pulled cover off and... there was no old gasket. ffs. somebody had just used orange rtv on it.  :dawg: :bang: but had scraped the gasket away"

Hope you got it ALL off. I hate that crap! Cost me a head and cam on my GL1000 custom. Tiny bit that I had missed got into the flow restrictor for the right head stopping all oil flow. The '72 Triumph T150V that I'm rescuing now even had it on drain plugs. Whhhhyyyyyy???
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

thanks. yeah, i got it ALL off. I have seen that stuff wreak havoc as well in oiling systems. I found some in the 390 when i rebuilt it in the car as well, bits of it stuck up on the oil pickup and swathed around the rear main (?) that still leaked. lol.  luckily that got hot tanked and all thats NEW, who knows how long it had been there. always the orange and red. Luckily the era of everybody using the blue stuff seems to be over. that shit was prolific in the late 80s.  :rant-1:

rodneya

The Katana motor I stripped down had that blue stuff all over the carb inlets and engine covers. The guy must have used a full tube on just the sump.

pidjones

Blue stuff - Hylomar? the Brits on the Triumph sites talk like they use that like no tomorrow. Even on gaskets. All I usually use with gaskets is silicone grease to keep them from becoming one with the flange. Of course, on joints designed for it I use Hondabond (or Yamabond or whatever equivalent is recommended). Rubber gaskets (not o-rings) that need stuck in place get a little Indian Head (which comes off quick with acetone).
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

no, this shit.