News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Gears, sprockets and chainwheels...Oh, my!

Started by 85RZwade, December 22, 2021, 01:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

I'm having one of those moments when I realize I don't know the question to ask, much less the answer. I gotta acquire a rear sprocket for my RD350B project, but how many teeth (OK, I knew that question)?
The known values:
'75 RD350 primary gears
'76 RD400 transmission
520 chain
TDR250 rear hub, same sprocket as FZR400 (520)
The 400 countershaft is the same spline and size as my RZ and TZ, so I have a couple of front sprockets to play with, but I have to buy a rear. Is there a way to make an educated guess, or have I entered the realm of the experimental?
I post waayyy too much

DesmoDrew

85RZwade

That's a lot for my tiny reptilian brain to absorb, but I think I see the vision. It seems as though I need to know what final drive ratio is my end goal, then plug in known values and manipulate sprocket sizes to reach the goal ratio. Therefore, I need to know what ratio is desirable, which is probably fairly universal. Any two-stroke twin streetbike with a ratio that is satisfactory, such as my own RZ350, could be used, right? Determine the RZ's ratio, plug that into the gearing commander with my other known values and I should be able to derive a couple of workable sprocket combinations.
Thanks for coming along for the ride while I worked that out, and please shout out if I've slipped off the groove on this one.
I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

Quote from: RDFL on December 23, 2021, 09:21:17 AM
Quote from: DesmoDrew on December 22, 2021, 06:22:36 AM
https://www.gearingcommander.com
Great link
Agreed!
Thanks Drew, that site is awesome. I just spent a whole bunch of time plugging in numbers and tweaking for my RD125. Great info.

Wade, when you run your calculations be sure to double check the preloaded values for the bike selected because I found that many numbers were off a little. especially the transmission ratios.  :twocents:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

85RZwade

Thanks, I'll check them against the service data  :thumbs: :patriot:
I post waayyy too much