Main Menu

1981 RD350LC

Started by Aloha808, January 03, 2022, 07:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

Like the small upper & lower fairings.

m in sc

Quote from: Milan on January 11, 2022, 11:13:55 AM
Never figured the low mileage would be a problem.

Just some more break in.

M

also corrosion on metal parts from sitting. ive seen motors that sat, inside, sealed, with rust on bearing cages. No, not 'more break in'.

look at my ds7 post, 5000 mile bike, crank seals, shot.

Milan

So its kinda a corundum.

Getting a desirable old bike, versus what could be,or go wrong with it.

Seems like thats the case whenever we look at old stuff to purchase.

Cost now versus value in the future also comes into play.
as with this threads 350LC going for $11K

m in sc

bottom line is buy what you like. if you try to balance resale vs initial cost vs whatever you are going to have to put into it to make it reliable, then you're going to just spin your wheels endlessly. what i used to tell customers, you're going to pay now, or later. but even if you pay a lot up front, you may still be paying more later.

pdxjim

Quote from: Milan on January 11, 2022, 11:13:55 AM
Never figured the low mileage would be a problem.

Just some more break in.

M

If you're just looking for something to push into the corner of your man cave to impress your friends, then OG low miles are a good thing.

If you want a rider, unless a recent complete engine rebuild is documented, you should plan on one.  No matter the mileage.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Milan

Supposed to get a video of the bike startup & running.
Not that that will tell everything

It would mostly be a Sunday rider to have fun with, and as a resell in retirement years.
Or maybe pass on to Son.

M

Milan

Another one

Priced higher than the YPVS

m in sc

Jims right, always plan on a rebuild regardless of how it runs or looks unless its documented, especially w pics. receipts done always mean it was done right either. I had a 'pro rebuilt' RZ motor that I got, and immediately had to fix a few things on before i ran it or it would have grenaded day 1.