(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Just Picked this Up

Started by Milan, January 18, 2022, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

wow nice score! I'm jealous

Milan

Need some mirrors for it, and a few other minor things.
Looked on Ebay, for mirrors.
There are some listed in all kinds of shape.
Any one have any?

Also, exhaust a little pitted, so re-chrome, or look for others.
There was a Sale listing  last year for some 250 pipes, but no response from poster yet.

M

m in sc

speed and sport in pa for the mirrors if you want correct one$

as far as the pipes, same as 350, baffles are different, thats it.

Milan

m in sc

those first 2 sets are just generic replacements, that's fucking crazy.

mikes carries those as well: https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-round-chrome-mirrors-set-2-7-stems.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc2i5ds4d9C6YThdTT-jQpPkgFx-j9Sc_ItVsJ4ygXtDX9hOGh_GoBEaAgDHEALw_wcB

last pair you linked is the most correct. buy those. thats a good price. Ive paid over 80 bucks each for them years ago nos.

Striker1423

I bought an actual Yamaha Mirror as a replacement for my old rusted one. It was the exact same mirror that was on my bike (black plastic, chrome arm TOYO). Part number: 1Y1-262690-10-00

I had no real indication that it wasn't stock until I looked into the RD's more and saw they were usually all chrome mirrors. But, this was cheap, and an actual Yamaha part numbered TOYO. It's for the DT's from what Partzilla claims. I like the length and the look. The best part? It doesn't flap and move in the wind like the cheap Ebay sets of mirrors do. Ask me how I know?

Also and FYI, I run ONE mirror on the left side. Not two.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/1Y1-26290-10-00

RDryan

Awesome looking bike, I have the same year, paint/scheme bike too! Mine was a barn find and I am technically the third owner but I put more miles on my bike than the first owner as well as the dealer/collector/second owner combined. I love mine wish I could tell you how much it's worth but I really have no idea. I think it depends on condition and how much someone wants it. I paid 3k for mine back in 2018 and at the time I thought it was a steep price but I just never see them around locally like I mine was and I just had to have it but mine although very original was not in super minty shape. I will say that John of Economy cycle had some wise words for me...btw he may be able to help with some affordable mirrors although non stock....he said to me if you wanna 350 then get the 350 but don't try to change your 250 into a 350. What I would take away from that is that the 250 is of equal value to a 350 in terms of collectables.

Striker1423

I dunno Ryan my 250-350 conversion begs to differ :).

RDryan

Yeah I can't argue, you put a lot of work in it and it shows. I watched the video of it all redone and I love how perfect the tank looks, it's minty perfect. I'm just jealous and have nothing but respect for that alone cause I think of how much money you gotta spend to that result. Need I say more?...the bike sounded crisp revving her up.  :metal:

Seriously I think our bikes are worth what we got in em but I just gotta convince whoever's paying.:guinness:

Striker1423

Quote from: RDryan on January 20, 2022, 07:31:41 PM
Yeah I can't argue, you put a lot of work in it and it shows. I watched the video of it all redone and I love how perfect the tank looks, it's minty perfect. I'm just jealous and have nothing but respect for that alone cause I think of how much money you gotta spend to that result. Need I say more?...the bike sounded crisp revving her up.  :metal:

Seriously I think our bikes are worth what we got in em but I just gotta convince whoever's paying.:guinness:
Appreciate the compliments.

The one problem with the tank is the painter installed the bottom decal around a half inch too far forward which I didn't notice until the bike was together the first time. So instead of sweeping back, it goes straight down then back lol. No fixing that without taking the paint off basically.

RDryan

Hmmm interesting, I absolutely didn't notice that but I can see that being a nagging issue. I actually thought about doing a repaint of my bike too and the decal application was something I wondered about and who locally could do it correctly the first time. However my gas tank is in kinda rough shape inside from not being stored properly for years. It's been sealed and doesn't leak but it just seems like it would be best to find another tank that looks as good inside as I would like it to look on the outside. Which leads to a very serious investment in my bike that I'm not sure I would ever get back. Also the headlight ears have some paint that peeled off years ago and of course surface rust set in. I think it was from having the bike accidently fall of the kickstand and I figured that out because it happened to me too. So those ears are kinda hard to find in good enough shape, they all seem to be slightly bent up with surface rust just like mine. So that would be another project trying to straighten mine out perfectly flat to prep for paint. I guess what I'm getting at is it just seems easier for me to enjoy the bike for what it is and have a good story to tell. Afterall they're only original once or so they say.  :whistle:

RattlecanResto

I think Yambits has reproduction fork ears for RDs

1976RD400C

I remember when I bought my 400 in '76 they had several left over '75 250s in the showroom at blow price of $950
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Striker1423

Quote from: RattlecanResto on January 21, 2022, 03:34:05 PM
Those are on my bike! They are very close to original, the holes are a bit small when painted, but I just cleaned the hole out and everything installed fine.
https://yambits.co.uk/rd250-headlight-bracket-ears-p-28227.html

Also Ryan, yes it bugs me every time I see it lol. I just knew I shoulda mentioned that to him. Oh well.

RDryan

Quote from: Striker1423 on January 22, 2022, 09:25:18 AM
Quote from: RattlecanResto on January 21, 2022, 03:34:05 PM
Those are on my bike! They are very close to original, the holes are a bit small when painted, but I just cleaned the hole out and everything installed fine.
https://yambits.co.uk/rd250-headlight-bracket-ears-p-28227.html

Also Ryan, yes it bugs me every time I see it lol. I just knew I shoulda mentioned that to him. Oh well.

Wow, that's sweet  :thumbs: I did google Yambits after RattlecanResto mentioned they had them but I just couldn't find em. Thank you for the link. I also tried looking for them on Ebay after the bikes accidental tip over and I shouldn't be surprised but like I said nothing on there was any better than mine all bent outta square. So I just did the best I could to flatten mine out. I even spent a great deal of time thinking about how just the right amount of TLC with the proper bodywork tools could get them closer to original and started to wonder if the inner part would have to separated to properly straighten them out. I know it can be done but why bother when these can be had for a decent price. I'll have to order myself a set for sure! I wonder if they, Yambits ever thought about reproducing gas tanks for our bikes?