Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Your worst crash

Started by Greaser Greg, January 05, 2022, 10:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

That's the number of real bad crashes for me.
The first in 1977 on my 74 Honda CB 750.
I lived in NY borderline with Connecticut.  RT343 was the road that went between Amenia NY (my home) and Sharon Connecticut.
Great twisty turns road with lots of hills, the biggest going east into Sharon uphill. I was by myself and going home to the west down and after a couple nice turns you hit the botton a a big right hand hard turn.
I came in to hard and fast but worse hit a patch of leaves skidded through and hit the guard rail flipped over and my body took a tree busted arm and some ribs. Actually was lucky to not break my back.
Took a couple months to heal.

soonerbillz

Number 2 was the worst
Me and my buddy Joe O'Brian went to do so dirt riding.
Still lived in Amenia. I had my new to me beast 73 RT360 MX and he had a brand new Honda 250 ATCR 3 wheeler.  Back the along RT22 north/south corridor the old rail line along side was abandoned for many years and everybody and anybody rode shit up and down the rails on the old coal rail bed. It ran all the way from Millerton to Pawling NY about 50 miles or so. Lots of fast riding.
So we are at the mid way point.. and really getting it on. I'm hammering the 360 but Joe was ahead laying down a vicious amount of coal dust ... I couldn't see shit.
So I downshifted and moved to pass on his left. Right then I saw his brake light came on out of the corner of my eye. But it was too late.
Someone had built a road across the rail bed and left a 2 ft or so berm.
I hit it at speed.. maybe 50 mph. I was launched way over flipping a few times into the discarded rail ties on the side of the bed.
Results:
Shattered scapula, multiple busted ribs, destroyed my shoulder and collar bone. I broke a lege cracked a couple verts. Broke my left arm again too.
My Bell saved my noggin and my boots helped too.
I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and was out of work for several months.
The day I got home from the hospital my brother's from other mothers had a keg and my bike (which they fixed) in the back yard.. we partied had!

85RZwade

Those friends are keepers!
I post waayyy too much

Moriniman

Many years ago I got T-boned by a young guy running a red light. Totalled my 1982 Honda CB900F. I snapped the left handlebar with my knee, which shattered most of my left kneecap. His front bumper also broke a bone in my right foot. I flew about 100 feet and then slid for a while, resulting in some nice gravel rash (I was wearing jeans, leather jacket, full face helmet).

Four months later I rode into work on my newly acquired 1978 Honda CBX twin-shock. A length of string tied to my walking stick meant I could carry it on my back. Still have that bike 30+ years later...

Trevor
1971 Kawasaki H1A Mach III

Greaser Greg

Thx everyone for the stories.  How do the more seriously injured among you figure it won't happen again and stay focused on riding?  Dying is one thing, it only bothers those left behind. My worst fear/first question for the icu nurses was am I gonna walk again, be brain damaged, is everything gonna work right?  I don't wanna be the guy that needs his ass wiped by someone else or leaves a bunch of family on there own, just because I wanted some more excitement I my life.  I know I can die or get maimed in a lot of ways, but bikes increase the odds.  I rode a lot. Almost every time I went anywhere over the last ten years it was on a bike unless I had too many tools or people or big stuff to take with me. I miss it a lot. 
I can imagine a quick ride around the block, but traffic is just too full of nincompoops!
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

irk_miller

The idea is to live young as long as possible.

Eat less fatty foods, so your overall health risk is net loss and you can still feel good about the risk from riding.

85RZwade

For me, it's complex, for sure. I ride dirt bikes and on the street; I wear the gear, pay atttention and don't get in over my head (often). I am conscious of my age and the fact that I don't heal like I did when I was 20, so I think about things a little more. I don't try some things on the dirt bike that I would have a few years ago. I live in a rural area, so I don't deal with traffic much.
After my big crash 30-some years ago, it took awhile to feel comfortable again...and I think you never completely forget. But I am also conscious of the miles and hours spent in a car, and I think statistically my risk/exposure is greater in a cage. Rationalization? Probably, but I'm not ready to give it up yet. Eyes, knees, reaction times are all waiting to take the bikes away from me at some point, but they're going to have to wait. You'll find your way, if you want it and miss it bad enough, to make peace with it. Good luck, man  :vroom:
I post waayyy too much

TNWillie

I was going to describe a couple of the crashes I've had but not after reading what others have experienced. Mine pale in comparison. You guys are some mighty lucky dudes.

RDRoy

Classic illegal left turn. Bounced of the right rear of the camaro. Broken left shoulder dislocated right shoulder broken pelvis fracture left wrist broken right wrist broken bone right big toe Broken left knee. I figure the odds of me getting wrecked like this again are astronomical.  So I replaced  the front end the pipes and am back on the road again.