Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

GT750 resurrection

Started by TNWillie, January 06, 2022, 09:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNWillie

That's what I was thinking. As for measuring the volume of each head to see what's going on is concerned, I could do that too and report back with my findings. How close should they be?
What about the issue with the thermostat? Would you run without one?

Striker1423

The thermostat only serves to allow the engine to come to temp before opening and letting the radiator do its job.

I ran my old sled without one. But on those really crispy single digit mornings I'd have to let the sled warm up for almost 20 minutes before I could get on the throttle hard. Cold seizing being the biggest worry.
Same issue here. You would be heating the entire radiator contents before the motor would actually warm up. Can be done, but if the stat works, why bother?

TNWillie

It's not a matter of the thermostat working, its a matter of it being against the opening directly below it IF I went with that head. And, I'm aware that it'd take longer to warm up, at 1st. On a similar note, it's possible that the motor wouldn't really come up to the proper operating temp without the 'stat. Both valid concerns and, in a sense, an answer to the question I asked of savOr.

m in sc

a restrictor is a good way to go as well.

teazer

The GT has an interesting cooling system design and the thermostat is specifically designed to close off the bypass hose when it opens the path to the radiator.  You need that bypass hose and you need the thermostat.

Please measure the the combustion chambers in that squish head and let us know what you find. You could also measure the stock head for comparison.

Stock should be around 30cc +/-1cc and squish heads ought to be around 26cc IIRC.

TNWillie

I took another look at the relationship between the head gasket bores and the combustion chamber bores and have ruled out the milled head because of the vast difference between the 2 IDs. I appreciate Teazer's and Savor's comments which lead me to take a closer look. This leads me to choose the welded head with the squish bands. I've attached a pic showing the relationship between the gasket and combustion chamber OD on that one. Also, with regard to the head gasket. Its a Suzuki NOS item with an ID of 71.5.

teazer

Willie,
Thermostat and head volume pictures.