Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Question for the Electrical Wizards

Started by BlueR32, January 08, 2022, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueR32

I'll be honest bike electrics are a bit of a black box for me but I have a rudimentary grasp of the basics. Here's the question: for my SRX/RD project build (link below) can I use the regulator/rectifier from the SRX with the RD motor? My limited knowledge tells me yes but is there more to this that I should be aware of?
http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=3909.0

m in sc

if the srx is an excited field alternator.. yes.  post  pic up of the srx alternator and stock reg/rectifier.

BlueR32

Here's the pics from the fiche. Does this help?

m in sc

BlueR32

Thanks for that but I'm curious so pray tell why is not compatible?

m in sc

an excited field alternator like most aircooled rds use has a rotor with 2 slip rings. its not magnetized until the voltage regulator powers it when it senses the battery voltage drops below a certain point.  thats why they have brushes.

as a side note, old sohc honda 750s also had excited field alternators, but they used a set of windings between the crank rotor and stator to do the same thing, no slip rings. 

Other bikes used a PMA, or 'permanent magnet alternator' , so every time the rotor spins it creates ac current.

• the regulators on an excited field regulate by powering the rotor windings  to create a magnet when it needs it.

the regulators on a PMA will shunt the ac voltage when voltage gets too high.

hope that makes sense, im on my 1st cup of coffee.

BlueR32

Great explanation....now I understand. Thanks for that!