Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Value of stock parts

Started by dgorms, January 24, 2022, 10:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgorms

What's the general consensus for : attaining, maintaining, and presenting all the stock parts on a mildly modified bike. For example, 1984 RZ 350 missing a few original parts(air box, rear shock, exhaust). I don't plan on selling anytime soon, but I'm thinking down the  road investment wise?
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

pdxjim

Dunno, but I'm glad I kept all the stock parts off my recent LC restomod.

Basically, I have all the stock parts that typically got thrown away 40 years ago.  Some of which have become straight unobtainium.  I have seen LC center stands go for almost $400 in the UK.  There was a guy selling repops over there for 250gbp and he couldn't make them fast enough.

Center stand
Uncut rear mudguard/fender
Airbox and lid
4UO specific brake calipers and master
4LO-00 carbs
Mint condition stock exhaust

All these appeal to the "olive drab" anoraks that want to see everything as stock as possible.

I plan on including all of these with the sale of my bike to appeal to anyone who wants to put it back to 100% stock.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

I honestly don't remember what I did with some of the stock parts I had, and for the most part don't care. I haven't reached the point of wanting my bike(s) stock again, so I like what I have. I'm more about getting rid of the stuff I'm not using, because I need the space and the cash!
And Dennis, I have a stock RZ shock taking up space here  :smiley:
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

I guess it's the nostalgia rearing it's head. I have a feeling that the 70s bikes will always hold some luster for people because they just have that look. The bikes in the 80s... Well. The RZ looks sweet. But a lot of blocky 80s bikes look like they tried to copy the K5 Blazer.

Another thing is parts availability for 80s bikes is just horrid. My buddy works at a dealer said it was nigh on impossible to find some of the one off parts. They had to turn away what would have been easy money jobs because a seal or gasket wasn't made anymore. So many customers wanted them to order off eBay to get jobs working. They wouldn't do it simply because they couldn't guarantee the work.

That's why a lot of stock swapped parts are huge money. Everyone threw them out and now collectors or purists want their bikes to look how they did from the factory. 

85RZwade

"tried to copy the K5 Blazer" made me laugh out loud! I immediately thought of of several Suzuki GS models. True!
I post waayyy too much