Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Left side oil leak "cure"

Started by Hawaii-Mike, January 26, 2022, 09:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaii-Mike

I think every RD I ever owned leaked transmission oil from the shift shaft.  I saw Retroracersteve's product on Facebook.  Found him on E-bay then ordered two of his kits.  He's in the UK. The shipping fee for two kits was the same as the fee for one kit.  I paid $123 - not cheap but if they work I'll be happy not to deal with oil leaks.

Note - I've had a few RD projects for years and none of them are running at this time.  Don't hold your breath waiting for my results, it may take awhile.

Milan

Mine is leaking now.
Ordered the regular seal, but have not replaced yet

Give us a link.

THX

M

m in sc

thats a clever fix if the shaft is worn. If not, not nec. .02

Hawaii-Mike

Here's the link.  Shipping is expensive, if you can use two, buy them together and pay the same shipping cost as one.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/255039271047

I've thought about whether it would save money to make them.  I don't have the tools to machine the aluminum part, easier to buy them.  Another thought would be using a 3D printer to make the part, if the plastic is strong enough.

teazer

That's an interesting fix.  The aluminum insert has a bronze bush to help stabilize the shaft plus the seal and O ring plus the nylon spacer to hold it all in place.

Mark is right that if the crankcase isn't worn allowing oil to leak out, it may not be necessary, but if the cases are worn then it looks like a good solution.  I would prefer to bore the cases and fit a bush in there, but that would cost a lot more for most of us. 

A CNC lathe would potentially cut that cost back and it might be cheaper to make that insert out of bronze as a one piece with less machining but probably a higher cost.  And it also means you must have an unworn shift shaft too.

Good idea for an old motor.

quocle603

Ive been seeing this all over FB groups.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC