Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RZ350 Deals Gap Prep Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, February 13, 2022, 09:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

RZ on the lift for steering stem bearings replacement.

paul1478

very cool. Looking forward to another year.

I took my bike out for a nice ride this past Friday. It was 68 degrees and I have been ignoring it for the past 2 months.

76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

i'm not even sure exactly what i'm bringing yet but they are all ready. the cb im 99% sure is going for 2 up duty, but otherwise..?  :umm:

looking good timmy  :olaf:

paul1478

76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

pidjones

We have the 'Possum Gathering at Sevier County Fairgrounds 13-14 and I know I'll be there as have volunteered to help Patrick with it. Probably starting Thursday or even Wednesday depending on what he needs from me. I plan to try to get to the Gap at least once before that. Don't know if it will be on RD400c, GL1000, or Spyder. Will probably trailer at least one to Sevierville on Friday and ask one of my friends from the Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club to watch it overnight. Several of them will no doubt be camping on the fairgrounds.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

Disassembly begins. I figured out a way to get it apart without unplugging any wires or taking any cables or brake lines off.

Kawtriplefreak

I stacked two totes and used tie down straps through the eyelets on the birdcage with the horns supporting the assembly. The cables and wires still have slack. The only tricky part was getting the big wire bundle over the bottom triple tree. I used a bucket to support the calipers and brake lines.

Kawtriplefreak

Bottom race was a bit uncooperative initially but I convinced it.

Kawtriplefreak

Bottom triple tree is resting peacefully in my shop freezer for the new lower bearing install next break. Since I don't want to mess with the spacing on the bird cage I will be using new tapered roller bearings on the bottom where it carries the load and a new caged ball bearing setup on the top per John at Economy Cycle. Thanks John!
Next break reassembly begins!

Kawtriplefreak

All back together. Started on 3rd kick after setting for not sure how long. The brake lever must have gotten bumped at some point because all the pads were too close together to slide over the rotors. I pried them apart and all was well.
Next was a 20 mile test ride. You don't realize how nasty fork oil and steering stem bearings degrade the handling until it's like it is supposed to be. I checked for any movement after the ride and there is none. I put slippage marks on all the caliper bracket attach bolts and verified no movement. I used 10 weight Maxima and added 1/2 ounce over the spec and it feels perfect. Notably firmer but not harsh at all.

Kawtriplefreak

I also gave the Koso gauge some love. I got rid of the skull capped hardware and put in the Koso hardware that came with it, raising the height by 1/2  an inch. I like it a bit higher.

m in sc

pidjones

Nice! A tip for the future: when you remove a brake caliper, shove building shims (thin wooden wedges for shimming doors and windows square - get them at your big box store) between the pads to hold them out.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"