News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Plastic oil inlet nozzle --> brass fitting?

Started by NYSingh, March 23, 2022, 04:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

The last few times I've pulled the oil line hose off the carb, the whole nozzle comes out as well, which worries me it might wiggle itself out while riding (and no oil --> bad day). I can likely mess with the brass press fitting piece on the nozzle to expand it a bit (or get new nozzles), but wondering if a more permanent solution might be to just drill/tap the injector hole and use a threaded brass barb fitting instead.  Can't think of a risk other than it leaking or vibrating out, but if done right with a suitable gasket/crush washer and loctited, seems it'd work just fine.  But if this was a better solution, imagine the wise engineers at Mikuni would've already done this. Any issues I'm not thinking of?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

Milan

Not really sure there would be that much pressure at that point in the system.
As the injector oil is being expelled into a negative pressure part of the carb to be pulled in with the gas.

Probably just a neat job of loctite would work, with immediate flushing to get any excess loctite out.

M

Striker1423

the manual stated to basically glue them in place with a semi-permanent paste on the back side of the nozzle only to avoid crap getting into the injection stream.

I've seen a few posts where people safety wire them in place. Wrap wire around carb and crossover the nozzle. Done.

Mine have never just fallen out though. *knock on wood*

m in sc

you can drill and tap, have seen and done that actually (on different carbs).  ive also gently compressed the brass nozzle a bit to slightly oval it and press it back in.

2steve

Tie wrapped

hayduke

I used a tubing cutter to lightly score a couple ridges on the OD of the tube, effectively enlarges a bit of the tube, causing a tighter fit.

m in sc

forexer

I was told to use Loctite 222 Threadlocker which is " Low Stength" never had a problem