Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Dead RD400 resurrection

Started by JBeasty, April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

Thanks Guys. I should know better by now to question the manual if things aren't looking quite right!
1977 RD400

JBeasty

How important is this tab washer/sprocket plate thingy? Other than covering the huge snap ring and providing tabs (nonexistent) to lock the nuts, does it do anythings else? Is there a concern with that snap ring being exposed? I was just going to use washers and lock tight.

Also, I have the 2 Sprocket spacers from Economy on there (for the 520 chain conversion), but there is still a tiny bit of play. Is that normal?

Thanks for any insight.
1977 RD400

m in sc

not terribly important but if you arent going to run it, run some thin nylocks or something.

or:

https://yambits.co.uk/rd400c-sprocket-lock-tab-rear-p-51906.html

soonerbillz

I wouldn't be confident without that snap ring covered. God forbid something snags it.
 It would be my luck.

m in sc

that snap ring is extremely robust, nothing will snag that and remove it.

rodneya

Pretty sure that lock plate is made like that to hide the snap ring and make that area look cleaner.

I have a spoked 400 rear hub with a spacer behind the sprocket, so it uses bolts to hold the sprocket on.
last week my bike started making a noise and vibrating just before home. Locking tabs were probably a bit loose and one bolt backed out and demolished the adjuster.

JBeasty

Quote from: rodneya on July 06, 2023, 11:54:01 AMPretty sure that lock plate is made like that to hide the snap ring and make that area look cleaner.

I have a spoked 400 rear hub with a spacer behind the sprocket, so it uses bolts to hold the sprocket on.
last week my bike started making a noise and vibrating just before home. Locking tabs were probably a bit loose and one bolt backed out and demolished the adjuster.

Not sure if you've remedied this, but I have an adjuster I won't be using that you can have.
1977 RD400

rodneya

Quote from: JBeasty on July 19, 2023, 08:24:02 PM
Quote from: rodneya on July 06, 2023, 11:54:01 AMPretty sure that lock plate is made like that to hide the snap ring and make that area look cleaner.

Not sure if you've remedied this, but I have an adjuster I won't be using that you can have.

Thanks for the offer, but I had a spare in my junk bits stash that I managed to get straightened out enough to use.

JBeasty

Has anyone ever fit this VSM6 Airtech seat pan to an RD400? I've got a birthday coming up. Looking for things to put on my wish list.
1977 RD400

svgarage

I purchased a seat that is similar to what you want. My solution was to braze pins to the frame and pin the pan in place. I cut the pins down to size and suspended the seat with rubber stoppers.

20190929_194455.jpg20190815_123459.jpg20190815_124220.jpg
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

JBeasty

Very nice! I went ahead and ordered the Airtech seat. I know I'll have to do some sort of fiberglass fabrication to make it work. My hope is to use the stock seat hinges, or some sort of quick release mount - so I can have easy access to the oil tank.
1977 RD400

JBeasty

Made a bit more progress. Rear wheel mounted and centered with spacers I made. Chain lines up nice. Got the front wheel mounted, but I'll have to make another 4mm spacer for the disk, and possibly shim the caliper out a bit, or grind it. As it is, the caliper hits the rim, and the disk does not line up within the caliper.
1977 RD400

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much