News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Dead RD400 resurrection

Started by JBeasty, April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

Hey everyone, new to the forum - 1st post.
So I spent way too much money on this emotional buy. I know it's a POS. I thought I needed a new project...
I've never really done a total restoration on a motorcycle, let alone a 2 stroke, but here goes. Looking at the bike as a whole is overwhelming, so I thought I'd focus on one thing at a time, shelf it, and move on to the next piece. Right now I'm doing the gas tank. So far I've de-rusted it, taken it down to metal, bondo'd the dents, primed and base coated it. I think I'll take off the chambers next.
1977 RD400

JBeasty

Tank shots
1977 RD400

JBeasty

Down to metal
1977 RD400

JBeasty

1977 RD400

m in sc

that's one way. I would suggest tearing it all down and figuring out what needs to eb sent out, what's going to cost $, and what is just elbow grease, and various combinations of these.  You can then tackle multiple aspects. for example, if it need a crank rebuild and cylinder bore, but thats going to eat up $ and time you cant control, send that out as its inevitable (probably) and while waiting do the elbow grease stuff.  etc.

doesnt look to bad as a base of a project at all actually. But whatever your pace is, do that.  :gentleman:

JBeasty

I'm sure that's the right way. I'm just worried my little peanut brain won't be able to comprehend the exploded version  :umm:
I do plan to make notes and take copious pics.
1977 RD400

JBeasty

Truth is, I know I'll get to a point that I'll be waiting on a part(s), and I'll have to move on to the next thing.
Here's the tank before wet sanding and clear.
1977 RD400

m in sc

not saying its the right way, persay, but a good way to stay motivated. tank looks good. and no they arent that complicated, and we can help.  :toot:

AAAltered

I was right where you are 15 years ago.  The bikes are pretty simple.  Mark is right though, consider tearing down first and sending anything out that needs professional help.  You'll have plenty of time for cleaning, parts acquisition, polishing etc while things like the engine (seals, bore, crank etc), paint, powder coat, chroming, etc etc are dealt with.  Good bones on that bike, stay here and you'll find the help you need.

That also gives you time (during tear down) to learn what you have, and to help you sort/budget/prioritize.

Me, 2007 with an R5 that had sat since 1981.

[/url]
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

AAAltered

BTW. Did it run?  When was the supposed last time it did?
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

JBeasty

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I do like to take shit apart! Just gotta have a system I guess.
No clue when it last ran. The guy I bought it from got it in an estate sale, no paperwork. It was last registered in 97. I just registered it as non-op, so I have a pink slip now. It does turn over, and the tranny seems to shift OK. Front brake works a little, rear brake is frozen (or at least the pedal is). The engine and frame numbers don't match.
1977 RD400

pidjones

Let me suggest a good leak test on the tank before going further on it. I had mine ready for decals when a weep was discovered - luckily inboard of the seam on the bottom. Was able to wrap, mask, and POR15 seal without damage to the paint but was quite lucky at that.

Here is how mine started and came out:
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Striker1423

They will eat at your pocket-book if you let them! Mine definitely has, but hey... every time it blows up, it ends up looking better and better!

JBeasty

Quote from: pidjones on April 04, 2022, 06:58:04 PM
Let me suggest a good leak test on the tank before going further on it. I had mine ready for decals when a weep was discovered - luckily inboard of the seam on the bottom. Was able to wrap, mask, and POR15 seal without damage to the paint but was quite lucky at that.

Here is how mine started and came out:

Oh God help me. I did have it full to the top with vinegar for about a week (shaking daily with BB's and rocks in it) before doing anything else. The rust wasn't terribly bad, the pic in post #3 is before the vinegar. Maybe gas finds leaks vinegar wouldn't? Your bike is beautiful BTW.
Striker, my pocket book is ready, my wife not so much.
1977 RD400

SoCal250

Welcome. :cheers: Where are you located? You mentioned "non-op reg" so I was thinking probably Calif.
Looks like this could be a cool project. You've got a Daytona head on that engine. Nice.
Good work on the tank so far :thumbs:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)