News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Dead RD400 resurrection

Started by JBeasty, April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

Got side tracked trying to find an adapter for the R1 blue spot caliper. I see they are available for the RZ, but not for the RD? I then found Mark's zip file for the adapter in the Speed Shop. I printed the jpg, but it's too big, and it won't let me resize it. I guess I don't know how to play with zip files... 

http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=184.0

Does anyone know where I can find an adapter for the RD400, or if there's a way to print out a template so I can attempt to make one?
1977 RD400

m in sc

that should have the dxf file in it, and its def drawn to scale.. thats the file we used in the laser. you cant just print up the jpeg. aslso, its drawn in mm, will try to convert to inches, so if you are using a cad program or cad reader, be aware of this. ..02

PRINT THIS PDF 1:1 should be good.

https://www.2strokeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/lightweight-rd/forks/adapter1.pdf

JBeasty

Once again, Mark to the rescue, saving me from myself  :smiley:
1977 RD400

m in sc

RDnuTZ

Quote from: JBeasty on April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM
Hey everyone, new to the forum - 1st post.
So I spent way too much money on this emotional buy. I know it's a POS. I thought I needed a new project...
I've never really done a total restoration on a motorcycle, let alone a 2 stroke, but here goes. Looking at the bike as a whole is overwhelming, so I thought I'd focus on one thing at a time, shelf it, and move on to the next piece. Right now I'm doing the gas tank. So far I've de-rusted it, taken it down to metal, bondo'd the dents, primed and base coated it. I think I'll take off the chambers next.

I was in a similar situation...back in 1995. Found a Chappy Red runner that was all stock but rusty and needed full restoration. Had a title + key too :thumbs: I tore it down to the frame and had blasted and powder coated Silver. Left engine with carbs intact thinking to do last. Bought lots of new parts dreaming of putting it back together as my main rider. Then a couple major house moves and 11 year detour into VMX pushed it to the back burner. Then a major relocation from SoCal to SW CO put it into deep storage for last 5 years. Hoping to finally dig it out and finish the job as NEXT year's Winter project  :lol:

I'm sure yours will be done before mine  :cool:
1986 TZR250R Restricted Japan Domestic market bike (Project)
1977 RD400 (Project)
1974 RD350 (2) (Projects)
1973 RD250 (Project)
2022 Beta 300 X-Trainer, Yamaha Vintage MX, YZ (18)

JBeasty

Quote from: RDnuTZ on December 03, 2022, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: JBeasty on April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM
Hey everyone, new to the forum - 1st post.
So I spent way too much money on this emotional buy. I know it's a POS. I thought I needed a new project...
I've never really done a total restoration on a motorcycle, let alone a 2 stroke, but here goes. Looking at the bike as a whole is overwhelming, so I thought I'd focus on one thing at a time, shelf it, and move on to the next piece. Right now I'm doing the gas tank. So far I've de-rusted it, taken it down to metal, bondo'd the dents, primed and base coated it. I think I'll take off the chambers next.

I was in a similar situation...back in 1995. Found a Chappy Red runner that was all stock but rusty and needed full restoration. Had a title + key too :thumbs: I tore it down to the frame and had blasted and powder coated Silver. Left engine with carbs intact thinking to do last. Bought lots of new parts dreaming of putting it back together as my main rider. Then a couple major house moves and 11 year detour into VMX pushed it to the back burner. Then a major relocation from SoCal to SW CO put it into deep storage for last 5 years. Hoping to finally dig it out and finish the job as NEXT year's Winter project  :lol:

I'm sure yours will be done before mine  :cool:

I wouldn't bet on it...
1977 RD400

85RZwade

It's almost time for New Years resolutions!
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Quote from: 85RZwade on December 08, 2022, 10:25:06 AM
It's almost time for New Years resolutions!
And we know how well they are kept.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

spend 30 mins a day on it, and sooner than later it will be done.  :twocents:

SoCal250

Quote from: m in sc on December 08, 2022, 01:32:58 PM
spend 30 mins a day on it, and sooner than later it will be done.  :twocents:

I have a large dry erase whiteboard on my garage wall. On it I have each bike project with a master list of all the tasks that need to be done to complete it. I usually select a couple items from the list every couple days (or each week) to focus on and attack those. As items are completed they get crossed off the list on the whiteboard. It's a great way to track your progress and not get overwhelmed. And as the master project list items get crossed off one by one it helps enforce that you're making progress and the end is achievable.  :twocents:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

JBeasty

Wow, look at everybody piling on! Guess I better get to work.
I have made a little progress. Decided on a location for my shock mounts - ~ 1 1/2 inches forward (same distance as the swing arm pivot to the upper shock mount), and ~ 1/2 inch inward so the shocks hang straight. Got the frame and swing arm powder coated. New bearings for the steering stem assembly and all mounted up. Got a call from John Ritter yesterday about my cylinders, head and manifolds. He's trying to talk me into pulling my engine apart again and sending him my crank... 
1977 RD400

TPR5

JBeasty

Got some parts back from John Ritter this weekend! The rust & pitting was so bad he had to go 2mm over on the bore. He's calling the porting "Stage 1 on steroids". He's got my crank now too.
Edit: after looking at the last pic and seeing all the spots, I ran out to the garage to check them more closely. The spots are oil from machining.
1977 RD400

m in sc

YEAH, THAT LOOKS GREAT.  you should be real happy w the way this turns out.  :metal:

JBeasty

Made a little more progress. Front forks rebuilt with MikesXS emulators (with lots of help from the wizards on here).

http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=3767.45

Also put on some cheapo RFY shocks (temporarily). Crank is on its way, should be here tomorrow or Monday.
1977 RD400