Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Swarbrick Racing Expansion Chambers

Started by rlloydm, May 05, 2022, 10:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlloydm

Just received my pair for my RD400 in the mail and wondering why there's not more chatter about these. Dave was a perfect gentlemen to deal with and the price was very right compared to the competition. Made to order, but he got them to me in just about the 6 weeks that was promised.

I'll be welding the stingers and hangers up soon and should have the bike back on the race track either June or August. Will report back on results.

Terrible picture, I know, but I'll take some more as things progress if there's any interest.

rodneya

Probably because they are based in the UK. You dont really hear or see anything about other UK pipes like Higgspeed, Micron, Allspeed or Mutts on mainly US sites. Lomas are the only commonly available ones.

I have seen good reviews on the Swarbrick pipes and think you will be very happy with them.

sav0r

They look awesome!

Un/fortunately shipping prices are killing international sales. My business has lost about 95% of its international sales in the last three years. Shipping is just too pricy now.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rlloydm

The shipping was a bit shocking but the USD/£ exchange rate is more favorable than it used to be and with Dave's prices these still came out cheaper than SpecII or JL pipes. A racer that I trust told me that they perform better on track than either of those options, as well. Not sure how they'd be for street use.

m in sc

I've heard that as well, and have ridden bikes with swarbrick pipes. they are very, very good.  :twocents:

Jspooner

I have them on my TZ replica street bike. They work very well on the street.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

2 Smoker

Is this what their site considers a kit.

bitzz

Quote from: 2 Smoker on May 07, 2022, 10:06:05 AM

That's "semi" assembled.
I get kits that need more assembly... which is why I like Swarbricks.
If you buy brand "X" pipe, you are kinda locked into some one else's idea of tuning.  Does anyone KNOW what port timing brand "X" pipes were designed for? What RPM? Is the designer of brand "X" willing to release this info?

... but the head tube on Swarbricks that I buy, the TZ350 kit, is WAY too big for a street bike.
At last count I have 6 sets of Swarbricks. The silencers are PRETTY.

rlloydm

Quote from: 2 Smoker on May 07, 2022, 10:06:05 AM

Per Dave Swarbrick:

QuoteThe RD400 race spec pipes are welded up in the body, you will have to weld on the mounting brackets and the flanged stinger tubes.

Pipes include..... cylinder stubs, springs, alloy silencers, mounting brackets, stinger tubes.

Price; £398.00 plus £109.00 air.

Delivery approx. 6 weeks.

teazer

Great pipes.  I had them on an RD400 and several TZs.

Still have a set hanging up waiting to go on a 79 Fast Freddie TZ250 in aftermarket frame that needs to be finished.

Plasticman

I have a set for my road race RD400.  I'm told they are a little peaky, meaning they make most of their power up in the higher end of the RPM range.  I haven't tried mine yet, but have a friend who has them on his Harry Barlow tuned RD400.  They sound awesome and I could never keep up with him in a straight line.

The Retrodyne pipes I've seen are supposed to help generate more torque, yet limit the peaky horsepower spike high in the RPM range.  Mark Morrow runs these pipes and likes them.  I may try a set in the future.  They are more a custom pipe than a mass produced set.  But they are made in the USA.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)