Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The Latest in the Stable

Started by Striker1423, May 15, 2022, 10:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Picked this up on a 10 hour round trip to the Canadian border at Sault Ste Marie, MI this weekend.

It runs. But needs a battery and things tended to. The 2t pump leaks somewhere. The engine case is cracked by the chain. Needs the usuals. Chain, sprockets, fork repair, seals, etc.
Pipes and every chrome part have been painted with gray paint. Delkevic pipes would fix that.

But, aside from the need for a fresh rebuild, it is surprisingly in good shape.

soonerbillz

That's cool.
I had a chance at one last year but it was in terrible shape and missing a lot of parts. I hope you get it good running shape quick and easy.

Evans Ward

Congrats! Looks like a GT750A 1976 model? Now.... Join up at Suzuki 2 Strokes and The Kettle Clinic (based out of the UK).
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

85RZwade

Sweet! You finally got yer triple  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

busa1300

I loved my pink 72 J model, but ended up selling it to make way for my RZV500R.
Very smooth bikes, great for back road cruising....but keep extra plugs just in case.
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

mnein

Nice score and nice picture of 'the' bridge.

teazer

Nice bike, but not sure exactly what it is.  Forks look like M or A model, tank appears to be M but with L (74) decals.  Wrong seat cover but that stuff is all easy to change.  Post the engine and frame numbers and we can tell what year/model it is.

Great place to start.

Striker1423

Ok the frame number is

And the engine number is

RDryan

Congrats on your new ride. Wish I had some useful info to contribute but I don't know much more other than what I've read about em. It looks really nice and it's a two stroke triple so it's pretty freaking cool in my book. :olaf:

I actually saw one  on Ebay this past winter and kept looking at it for the longest time till someone scooped it up. I recall it being painted white with chambers on her and some crosses for emblems as it was supposedly owned and ridden by a minister out of Long Island New York. He had a pretty reasonable buy it now and the most interesting ad description. Just going on and on about these bikes being massively underrated compared to the Kawi H2. He made mention of the H2's thru the roof expensive and that this bike being a bargain. A poor man's H2 in a matter of speaking and somewhat right on point. Well it all sounded good, I wouldn't know I never ridden either bike but who cares you got it and that's what counts.  :thumbs:

SoCal250

Congrats Striker :clap: Looks like a pretty nice one
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Striker1423

Alright after a rundown here's the list it needs:

Fork tubes (inner, chrome on outside shot, I COULD just super glue the pitting, but new tubes are 200 bucks on ebay from Legends)
Fork rebuild (the works)
Tires, Tubes, etc.
Carb rebuild (The works, including needles and seats)
Throttle linkages (rusted to really bad shape)
Fuel lines.
Assess and address oil pump leak.
Case needs welded near serial number.
Needs new cover near broken motor case.

I'm sure it needs a motor rebuild at some point, but that will take the other arm and leg and TIME. So, with it running now... I might just forgo that for a season and just do what it needs to get it to a rideable condition. The rest of the restoration can go over the course of years lol. I'll try to not go over 5 years on this one.

Good news is the seller reached out and agreed to ship me the box of parts his pops forgot to hand over to me (whoops lol), and that includes some gaskets, miscellaneous parts, and a complete Suzuki water pump rebuild kit.

pidjones

Needing all of that, I'll guess that it needs full brake system rebuild, too.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Striker1423

Quote from: pidjones on May 18, 2022, 07:17:16 PM
Needing all of that, I'll guess that it needs full brake system rebuild, too.

Oh yea. That too, Rear brakes feel like they aren't and front brakes need a flush.

Oh and it also needs all new cables.

SoCal250

Quote from: Striker1423 on May 18, 2022, 07:14:56 PM
Alright after a rundown here's the list it needs:
Fork tubes (inner, chrome on outside shot, I COULD just super glue the pitting, but new tubes are 200 bucks on ebay from Legends)
A good source for fork tubes is Frank's
https://www.franksforks.com/SUZUKI%20-FORK-TUBES.html
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

teazer

Frame is late production M model 1975 and motor is also an M.

So the forks and tank are correct but wrong decals which you can change if you want it 110% original.

Oil pumps rarely leak but the feed pipe may be split.  More likely that the crank seals on #2 or 3 are shot allowing oil to be pushed out of the transmission via the breather standpipe which is beside the pump under that cover.

Cracked crankcases are common when the chain breaks and smashes into the case.

Check compression and if possible do a leakdown test to see how bad the crank seals are.  Crank rebuild is about 400 bucks including seals and shipping.  CruizinImage do great pistons for street use and they sell seals as well.

Carbs need the tiny O rings around the needle jets and are available from Suzuki.  Genuine needles and seats are a bit expensive but are available as are aftermarket. You will also need a new foam air filter element.  They disintegrate.