Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Lithium Batteries for our Bikes

Started by Milan, June 15, 2022, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

If you have ever seen a lithium battery burn, then just imagine that happening right below you nuts on a busy highway.

pdxjim

AGM more better.

I will say, the WPS Li battery on my KTM has worked great, but the Ballistic and Antigravity brand Li batteries I've had shorted out and failed in short order.

I won't waste money on another.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

sav0r

We have had some pretty bad luck with the Antigravity batteries in various race cars. One of which resulted in a fire though nothing was particularly damaged asides from the battery itself. Racecars tend to use lightweight starters that barely start the car on a good charge, then you pull massive amperage from the battery especially if the engine is hot and tough to start. You're firing injectors, running a fuel pump, data acquisition, potentially a fan or a compressor for pneumatic shift. It's a recipe for disaster because these modern batteries will deliver huge amperage instantaneously.

Part of the reason I don't mind the LiPo in my RD is that it is kickstart only. If it were electric start I'd go for a traditional battery. As is, there is no opportunity to draw the battery down in a nearly instant fashion, meaning you are pretty unlikely to blow it up. Though failures do happen. Should a short occur I suppose it could be bad, but my wiring harness is in good shape and well sorted.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

1976RD400C

This thing went off like a Roman Candle on my bench when I charged it at too high a rate. 

EDIT: fixed link format
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

sav0r

We call them spicy pillows because when the soft packs go they really get spicy.

Having the right tools and practices are definitely required for modern chemistry batteries. They certainly should be treated with respect.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.