Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd power loss at mid-high revs

Started by Striker1423, July 05, 2022, 08:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

More fun. The bike seems to run fine in lower speeds, but as soon as you open it up to accelerate I feel and hear a snap, crackle, and pop on the lest side as it does. Makes the bike cruise down the road like Evinrude on The Rescuers. All tuckered out.

Clem710

If theres nothing obvious, having a look at the plugs is easy and if your timing is marked even close, thats pretty easy to listen for to see if its close while the plugs are out.

Fresh fuel from a different station is pretty easy too, the cage wont mind a MC tanks worth of bad gas.

racerclam

Sounds like it could be a lean spot . Is it at a steady throttle position , and csn you roll past that spot ?

Striker1423

Not really, more gas just makes it accelerate the same way only worse. Could try going back up to a 210 main. Or back to third (middle) position on the needle from fourth (lean side).

racerclam

Just know that the needle wont effect WOT

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: racerclam on July 06, 2022, 03:46:51 PM
Just know that the needle wont effect WOT

Is the needle just up to but not including WOT? What part of the carburetor is in play at WOT? Just completely open?

dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

Striker1423

Yea, I'm just trying to narrow down the problem is all. I will go up to 210 and report first.

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: dgorms on July 06, 2022, 08:11:12 PM
WOT=main jet

Of course. My brain seized up for a minute and had it backwards.

Striker1423

Cleaning the carbs. Been sitting  a little while, might as well ensure the things back together in tip top shape.

Striker1423

Cleaned the carbs and the problem is 90% fixed. Gonna try fiddling with the needle a bit, but the air jet on the left carb had to have been blocked a bit. Some craft wire in the small hole seems to have cured it and both sides now idle properly. Hell, it even idles at 1100rpm even after popping it into gear. I think that air jet was a problem child for the last year or so. Bike got me to work and back today.

Brad-Man

Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS