Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

End of an era in sight for me

Started by TNWillie, July 11, 2022, 10:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNWillie

I figured this is the most appropriate section to discuss this matter since it involves a 4-stroke. After having owned at least one of every Suzuki GS from the 550 to the 1150 since buying my 1st one, a '78 Skunk back in '79, I have decided to sell my last GS. It's an '83 1100E and is the nicest example I've ever seen let alone had the good fortune to own. Take a look and comment if you like.

85RZwade

Beautiful. Looks like a fine example, with sensible and tasteful upgrades. I love the colors, and I'd be happy to own it if I weren't trying to downsize. Good luck with the sale, but I hope you decide to keep it!
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

That bike is mint.
I have an 83 1100E motor in my 82 750 Katana. Nothing beats the torque of those old motors.
Good luck with the sale

Seizer

Those big GS's are like a 2-Wheeled Big Block Chevelle. So badass.

TNWillie

Thanks guys. So far, I've posted it on the GS forum and ADVrider. I've been both impressed and kinda humbled with the responses. The bike is really dialed in both motor-wise and suspension. It's a blast to ride in the twisties and straights alike and the sound coming out of the Supertrapp couldn't be sweeter.

Kawtriplefreak

One of two new motorcycles I ever had in my life was a 1980 GS1100ET.
Mine was silver with blue stripes. I put a Kerker 4 into one on it and a set of Mikuni 33MM  smooth bore carburetors. Later after many hard street miles
I put a Falicon crank in it a Gorilla clutch hub and Barnett clutch after the original grenaded. I remember taking off the clutch cover and raking the pieces out into a pan. I was 23 when I paid $4000 out the door at Sport Cycle in Panama City, FL. I used my re-elistment bonus and counted out the 100 dollar bills on the counter. They threw in a matching silver Bell helmet for free. I loved it. I sold it to a friend of mine in 1995 with 37K miles on it and he still has it. He said it is still very very quick. You have a beautiful 83 model

m in sc

747drvr

dang tnwillie!!  wish i would have waited for yours.  i just bought a 1982 gs1100e from a guy in Kingsport last week. the price was pretty good, but the front sprocket was toast and a few minor paint imperfections. it is going to be a spare to ride since my son in laws don't own bikes but like to ride. My wife said that was my last one. i told her the bikes are cheaper than a divorce!!  :olaf: :olaf:

rodneya

Quote from: 747drvr on July 12, 2022, 11:01:18 AM
dang tnwillie!!  wish i would have waited for yours.  i just bought a 1982 gs1100e from a guy in Kingsport last week. the price was pretty good, but the front sprocket was toast and a few minor paint imperfections. it is going to be a spare to ride since my son in laws don't own bikes but like to ride. My wife said that was my last one. i told her the bikes are cheaper than a divorce!!  :olaf: :olaf:

Man, I wish I had a FIL like you.

TNWillie

Quote from: 747drvr on July 12, 2022, 11:01:18 AM

That makes 2 of us. If the seller's name was Larry, I strongly suggest that you change out the steering head bearings. I rode that bike last week and encountered a bit of a head shake in a very mild turn when I took one hand off the handgrip. Based upon experience with an 1150 I had decades ago, it might be front tire related.
Also, I STRONGLY recommend you check voltage to the coils and do the coil relay mod if the voltage isn't the same as across the battery terminals. Man, what an overall difference you'll experience. Finally, add an extra ground lead from your battery to the frame and engine. Your charging system will thank you.
PM me and I have a few more tips I've learned over the decades. And/or you're up for a ride sometime. Its not often you see 2 GS1100s from the early 80's cruising together. ;)

pidjones

Man, just hold on to it until October and show it in our bike show October 1st @ Lighthouse Christian Church, 8015 Facade Lane, Powell,  TN.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

dgorms

Wade, I think I could squeeze that one in to my shop!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

747drvr

willie send me a pm and let me know what you are asking. i have already replaced the tires and upgraded sprockets and 530 chain conversion on mine. had a friend that had a NOS stainless kerker hanging in his attic for over 40 years. and trashed the oil cooler as it was a piece of shiite !! :cool:

rodneya

Quote from: dgorms on July 12, 2022, 09:09:24 PM
Wade, I think I could squeeze that one in to my shop!

Do it, you will not regret it.

m in sc