Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The death of internet forums?

Started by soonerbillz, July 12, 2022, 07:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

While there may be truth in this story, I  am active in more than a few forums.
I know this:
   I knew next to nothing about the Yamaha R5  before I joined this forum. Now (though still no pro) I can say I'm reasonably proficient in the model. Thanks in no small part to you guys.
I will stay a pain in your ass for as long as you let me.
Yeah I'm on FB and such but the info I find there is much harder to filter when separating fact from fiction. Forums seem to be so much more based on reality.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-are-online-motorcycle-forums-drying-up-and-dying

The Red Scourge

I'm in a ton of FB groups for different vehicles and interests.  None of them are as good as these forums.  I'd rather not see a feed of unrelated stuff if I'm looking for RD information.  No one posts build threads, there's no real organization to those groups.  I've been on forums since about 2001-02, I'll keep coming back.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

Striker1423

Forums won't all go away. They aren't as popular anymore, sure, but forums are for Diehards only. Let's let the kids figure that out on their own when their older. Keeps the TikTok generation (I know, that's my generation, but it sure ain't me) from muddying the waters.

sav0r

I agree with Striker.

Various forums have encroached on what use to be dedicated forums that cultivated experts and as a result we all lost. This forum being one of the hold outs I'd say. I am a member of two other forums (not associated with motorcycles) that seem to be holding their own in the current era, but most others have lost out or gone away. Similar forums I was a member of didn't fair so well.

That said, there are a few issues to be dealt with. Sites like Facebook and Reddit rely on new content, actual stewardship of the topic at hand are not a concern. They have lax systems in place for long term management of information. This means they have great instant gratification, but generally are low in real information. That also drives communities that have little onus on reputation or responsibility for their actions. For example, on the FB GT750 community I had a guy PM'ing with harassments simply because I said GT750 heads are known to be marginal in any state of tune. A true statement on my part, but he felt the need to personally message me to tell me I am full of it but wasn't particularly nice about it. If that would happen here I am sure a ban would happen. Accountability should matter, but on FB and Reddit that is basically gone.

Long story short, I think we will see a reversal back to dedicated communities like this in a few years. FB, Reddit, they just aren't cutting it in the long term. Yes, they cultivate large communities, but it is certainly a quantity over quality situation.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

agreed, which is exactly why i brough this site back and back it up.. a lot.

:twocents:

rodneya

Facebook groups seem to have a huge abundance of idiots giving people very bad advice. They can be very useful for finding hard to get parts though.
Like Striker said, forums are for diehards who often like old bikes or very specific bikes. Look at this forum, most of the bikes discussed are 70's or 80's. Same with something like oldschoolsuzuki. Neither have a facebook part and yet both are active and very informative. I dont think forums like this will ever go away.

And thanks again Mark for giving new life to 2SW

1976RD400C

You ain't kidding about bad advice to questions people ask on Facebook. And then you get the people that ask something and every answer they get they insult and belittle the people that try to help them.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

the aircooled RD group on FB is good, and equally bad. I'm on it a lot as some of you are but man, these latter day experts are quite something else sometimes.

'ITS THE WRONG COLOUR OLIVE DRAB'

Striker1423

:haw: Lol, the nut and bolt guys come out in force. Especially on the GT750 group on Facebook. Bean counters for sure.

pidjones

My primary use for FB is to keep up with family and friends. When they get political or post too much crap they saw on the web, I unfriend them and go on. I've tried the groups, but church is about the only one I've any use for.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

the modified aircooled group is pretty good, and the AC RD club is actually interesting as most of it is UK based, and thats cool.

pdxjim

I'm def on FB way more than I should be, and this and Norbo's LC forum are the only trad online forums I visit regularly.

The way I look at it, due to the large numbers, FB groups are handy for a quick answer, but you gotta wade thru a lot of BS to get there.

Forums are great for in depth, accurate info, but you might have to wait a bit for it.

Example:  Check out this recent thread from Dusty350 (also a member here).  You are simply not gonna ever find this quality of info on FB.  Ever.

https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/57666/rd350lc-engine-strip-rebuild
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

dgorms

I was on the "Honda 305" forum in the early 2010's , I watched it die a slow painful, robotic death! I got onto this forum around 2014-15, watched it wither and die :lol: Then Mark came to the rescue!   AMEN!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

I joined FB a few months ago, and it is definitely instant gratification. The depth of knowledge is amazinly shallow. People ask the simplest questions, like " what oil should I use in my LC forks?", as if they have no idea how to look it up. I mentioned on FB yesterday or today that I was going to use VM30s on my LC, and the author asked what VM30s were (Jim, you saw this). Not to bag on anyone, but for "enthusiasts", they by and large seem uneducated.
AND, I miss TZ350.net and it seems Don Henry's NATS forum has died as well. Both excellent sources of information, and I am sad to see them go.
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Yes, Wade, FB is largely te realm of the lowest common denominator.

"Looking for a performance upgrade for my LC, what carbs should I get?  How about Delortos?"

Wade suggests "VM30's"

"What are VM30's?"

FACEPALM.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A