News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

FOR THOSE THAT FOOL WITH POWER COMMANDERS -PCV no longer available.

Started by m in sc, July 12, 2022, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

So,

as a heads up, the power commander 5 is now no longer available. the power commander6 is now out. this is because they got in trouble with the gvt, and the new '6' is in no way an upgrade. Its only able to change the trims 15% max. where as before, it was kinda wide open.. of course, unless you are a dyno operator and have the right software, this is all you get.

also, the PCV maps can not be read by the 6.

How do i know this? well, my CB1100 i put off too long to get the ecu re-flashed (GUHL) , and that's now not available for the same reasons, it disables emissions settings on a road going vehicle.

SO, i heard the PCV was going away, so i ordered one off a seller on amazon that said he had a 5 on hand, and I got a 6 because the 5s are sold out everywhere and he basically lied to me.

this also means there are NO maps yet available, except weak ass stock maps.  I have an autotune unit coming, will be here tomorrow  but IF you were thinking of getting a PC, be aware of this.

On some bikes, standalone ecms are available, but on more obscure models, not so much.

I love my carbs more every day.

:twocents:

Clem710

Been workin on an AC only, points and carb setup recently while I'm waiting for my machinist to visit for the 400.

Incredible simplicity, almost wireless operation:)

Now kinda wondering if there was ever a flame ignition bike.

sav0r

My friend worked for a local truck garage (tractor/trailer stuff) and they were doing all sorts of ECU mods. They have a giant brake dyno and they would put the truck on the dyno and go to town. They built an in house ECU mod division but also bought some off the shelf stuff. Generally they were working to get better mileage because mileage is king in that industry. They did a lot with trying to reduce ash load in the oil too, they even patented some stuff to do that. A 20 gallon oil change is no joke and keeping ash load down means less wear, better mileage, and less oil changes. They got whacked hard by the EPA, millions in fines. I bet Power Commander is the same thing. The sad thing about the truck garage was that they weren't really trying to break the law, they were trying to improve the trucks. However, the law is clear on these types of modifications.

Recently my Jetta Sportwagen TDI blew through its second diesel particulate filter (a $1600 off brand part, first one was warrantied by VW at 40k) and I am scrambling to get a good flash and delete before those companies get whacked too. Many of these items that are easily installed on street vehicles and circumvent certain controls are asking for trouble.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.