Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD350 ,Can I use longer shocks?

Started by suey1958, May 03, 2019, 08:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suey1958

I have a (stripped down) project RD350 with a DT400 (+1) swingarm that I am sorting out. I would like to raise the rear of the bike (for a bit of a streetfighter look)  and wondering what the maximum length shocks I can use before having clearance problems with the chain/exhaust.
I will be using chambers but not sure which brand yet. I would like to use 14 inch shocks for the look I want but pretty sure that will pose some problems. Thanks

Dvsrd

I would just mock it up with the pipes, swing arm and sprocket sizes you want to run, and see how it works out. You could just drill holes in a wood batten or board at this stage. Or use a suitable turnbuckle or similar adjustable device (A piece of threaded bar slipped into a pipe, with a nut for adjusting length and holes at either end for the shock mounts)
I have no detail knowledge about the DT swing arm, but it may have a different shock mount relative to swing arm pivot than an RD arm.
Also, stock shocks, and stock length Hagons, have around 3" stroke. Significantly longer shocks may have longer travel, so you may need to check for clearance with fully compressed shocks as well. (For example if the new shock is 3/4" longer overall, but has 1" more stroke, this could be an issue)
The last thing to check is if the chain will rub on the top of the swing arm. This can happen with longer shocks and/or smaller rear sprocket.

Jspooner

Quote from: Dvsrd on May 03, 2019, 11:35:10 AM
I would just mock it up with the pipes, swing arm and sprocket sizes you want to run, and see how it works out. You could just drill holes in a wood batten or board at this stage. Or use a suitable turnbuckle or similar adjustable device (A piece of threaded bar slipped into a pipe, with a nut for adjusting length and holes at either end for the shock mounts)
I have no detail knowledge about the DT swing arm, but it may have a different shock mount relative to swing arm pivot than an RD arm.
Also, stock shocks, and stock length Hagons, have around 3" stroke. Significantly longer shocks may have longer travel, so you may need to check for clearance with fully compressed shocks as well. (For example if the new shock is 3/4" longer overall, but has 1" more stroke, this could be an issue)
The last thing to check is if the chain will rub on the top of the swing arm. This can happen with longer shocks and/or smaller rear sprocket.

Yes, mock it up with everything you are going to use (minus shocks) until you get the ride height, swingarm angle, etc. that you want and then you can determine the shock length.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

suey1958

Thanks Guys, I guess I'm "trying to get the cart in front of the horse"

I do have it mocked up at the 14 inch shock height,...thats where I really like the looks of it.
Looks like adequate chain clearance on the swingarm. I guess there is really no way to know the answer without having an exhaust set to look at. Looks like the exhaust type is going to dictate the height

I have a stock rd350 with DG pipes,... No way those would work.
Thanks Again for your input!

Dvsrd

Maybe "GP" style pipes with both silencers on the RH side will solve a potential chain/exhaust conflict?
If going to 14" shocks, I personally would be considering 4" stroke, to get more rear wheel travel. Falcon shocks in the UK make shocks to order.

suey1958

I found this pic of Retard's bike on the forum,... Looks like it has JL pipes on it. Those dont look like they would have any chain clearance issues (at any height). Nice pipes but pretty pricey.

Jspooner

Any under the frame chamber like that will have chain clearance issues if you have enough angle on your swingarm.

m in sc

also totally worth it.

id go 13.5 to be honest.

Jspooner

Quote from: m in sc on May 03, 2019, 01:05:31 PM
also totally worth it.

id go 13.5 to be honest.

yeah I agree, 14 is pretty long, I have 14s on my 350, but the swingarm is plus 3" so it works out.

suey1958

I'll go with the 13- 1/2,.....And I do like those JL's a lot,....Kinda makes me wanna throw rocks at the DG's on my other bike.
Thanks for the input!