Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Exhaust Leaking from Crown Nut

Started by Pravin, August 05, 2022, 03:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravin

Experts ,

This has been a life long pain for me and may be many others , the exhausts leak from Crown Nut  sounding the bike fluttering ...

DO we have any specific sequence on installing the joint ?

I need to loosen both Silencer mount bolts and also exhaust studs to put the crown nut easy way as the exhaust loses the alignment when stiff
And once i out everything back and tighten the bolts 1 Exhaust Stud Nuts 2 Silencer mounts Front and Rear( Hanger ) the Leak starts  , its a hit and miss scenario so just curious its a pain in USA models also or its just here ?

We use the Flat gasket which is wrapped around the pend pipe and over which the crown nut goes .. later RX models ..What is the ultimate packing to be used or whats being used in USA ?

Cheers ,
Pravin

m in sc

^ this. its basically a compression fitting ferrule.

Pravin

Quote from: m in sc on August 05, 2022, 10:06:30 AM
^ this. its basically a compression fitting ferrule.

Yes i had purchansed these long back and tried to install but they were very much tight to go on bend pipe , the ID was smaller than bend pipe OD , I had sanded them yesterday and will give a try tomorrow

As of now the packings are in crown nut and crown nut and the bend pipe is through the nut ..not sure the sanding i did to match the bend pipe will create any more leak path ...

Or I would have heated the bend pipe and slide it through ?

Cheers,
Pravin