Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

I gave my xs750 some much needed love today

Started by ElFuegoBlanco, August 08, 2022, 07:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElFuegoBlanco

I've been neglecting my '78 xs750 for far too long. I rode it about 150 miles on Saturday and it ran *fine* but not great. I had a vacuum leak on cyl 1, which normally I realize real quick (because it runs on 2 cylinders lol) but this time it was just running slightly sluggish, especially on hills. Replaced the vacuum cap, fixed an exhaust muffler clearance issue with the center stand (750d 2-into-1 exhaust on the 750e), and cleaned it up for the first time in a while.

I still have an oil leak on the left side that I've been dealing with for a few years. I'm fairly certain it's from the base gasket and I have a replacement timing chain ready to go, but I've just been putting it off. Because what's a little oil on your boot, really?

TNWillie

I can relate to your attitude about having a little oil on your boot. I had the same minor inconvenience for years with my '83 GS1100E. I knew where it was coming from, a leaky crank seal but, having honed procrastination to an expert level or perfection, I accepted it. Finally, just last month, I replaced the seal. Ahhhhhhh, relief! Now, I practice my procrastination skills on a few of my other toys.
Nice bike, btw, fwiw, I suggest that you compare the voltage at your coils vs what it is across the battery terminals. Your bike is old enough to see a couple of volt difference between the two. If so, performing a coil relay mod would breath new life into that bike's performance. Just my .02 worth.

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: TNWillie on August 08, 2022, 10:02:54 PM
I can relate to your attitude about having a little oil on your boot. I had the same minor inconvenience for years with my '83 GS1100E. I knew where it was coming from, a leaky crank seal but, having honed procrastination to an expert level or perfection, I accepted it. Finally, just last month, I replaced the seal. Ahhhhhhh, relief! Now, I practice my procrastination skills on a few of my other toys.
Nice bike, btw, fwiw, I suggest that you compare the voltage at your coils vs what it is across the battery terminals. Your bike is old enough to see a couple of volt difference between the two. If so, performing a coil relay mod would breath new life into that bike's performance. Just my .02 worth.

Coil relay mod? You've got my attention...

Clem710

I know more than one person that figures if its leaking oil, it has oil, which is much better than no oil :gentleman:

TNWillie

That's one way of looking at it. The other is that the bike is merely marking its territory.

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: Clem710 on August 09, 2022, 12:00:32 AM
I know more than one person that figures if its leaking oil, it has oil, which is much better than no oil :gentleman:

I've dealt with it weeping for so long, I don't remember the last time it didn't. Maybe one of these winters I'll break it down but it's riding season.

And my left boot has a nice shine to it!

m in sc

just fix it 90s style, smear some orange rtv in that crack. lol

neat bikes, never owned one , they seem to eb a love or hate them model.  :thumbs:

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: m in sc on August 10, 2022, 05:28:00 PM
just fix it 90s style, smear some orange rtv in that crack. lol

neat bikes, never owned one , they seem to eb a love or hate them model.  :thumbs:

Thanks man. We're talking about the "1977 Motorcycle News Machine of the Year" here!

It's my first (and only rideable) bike, so it's pretty much the only thing I've ever really known (learned to ride on it in 2008). It's been a pleasure to own.

2steve

I eliminated the base gasket on the ZRX1100 to bring the compression ratio up another 1/2 point. Just resealed with a very thin coating of Ultra Black RTV.

Worked very well. Wonder if that would be a safe thing to do on your XS.

3 cylinders on a 750 sounds like a brilliant combo.

PistonHoles

I am sure you can tell a leaking base gasket when you see it but the clutch pushrod seal on the triples were also a weak spot on the left side. Seams like I bought a brand x (honda) seal because it was a press in type with the same ID and OD.