This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

TZR 250 in Charlotte CL. Wish it was mine

Started by TNWillie, August 11, 2022, 12:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Beautiful bike, but $17.5k and not an SP .... 🤣
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

I know that bike actually. its 'ok'. Ive never ridden it or worked on it.

look up 'gaston motorcycle works', the owner of that place owns it. 

Milan

Curious to hear some comments comparing this to the RZ350's

not knowing about the TZR's

m in sc

Ive owned an rz, was ok. great bike but got bored with it. have ridden a few TZR's, actually have a pending deal to get one (not that one).  TZR aggressive riding style and feels 'scaled down' and IMHO refined in every way performance wise. for a smaller stature person (im 5'8") it feels perfect.  But i like small aggressive bikes. its the only bike i haven't owned that i want to obtain.

socal250 has a LOT more experience w them, he will have a much broader & educated insight .

SoCal250

Nice looking bike but I believe it's a '93 3XV9 based on the graphics. (Could confirm with the VIN) The wheels should be red. It would be interesting to see what he actually gets for it. TZRs are going for big money these days, but like Jim mentioned it's not an SP.

My TZR is my favorite bike ever. Never going to sell it, I'm going to be buried with it.
It's very small, light, and nimble. It even makes my FZR400 seem large. It's designed for a fairly small rider. I'm 5'7" and it fits me perfectly.
Like Mark said, it's a small bike with a compact and aggressive riding position. I've done 175 miles on mine in a day and I was wrecked afterwards. All your weight is on your hands/wrists and you can't sit up to rest. But man is it fun on winding roads! I've had mine on Highway 1 near Big Sur, in the Santa Monica Mountains near the Rock Store, and the canyon roads near Cooks Corner.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

pdxjim

Im 6'1", and I've done a few 350mi days/1000mi weekends on mine out in eastern Oregon.

Still kicking myself for selling it.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

busa1300

It has 93 bodywork, but it is a 92.....93 and up RS had fully adjustable SP front end and it also had the SP swing arm and rear shock.
Looks nice, but as you guys have already said.....not an SP.....and even a SP would have a hard time to get that price unless it was totally correct.
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

dgorms

Funny, when I bought my 92 fzr400rr the P.O. said the same thing "It's not an SP"
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

I'll throw this in the fray.

the same shop that has this, also did an RS250 they charged 800+ bucks to rebuild a set of carbs, (took them 2x to get it right), built a mid 70s (dont care as i dont like them) CB5500 that had cr carbs on it that wouldnt start right for a year and cost the owner 11k+ to get done... and is currently building the same guy a Daytona, with a stock (but rebuilt) 2vo crank with lectrons,  chambers, who knows what else, and a suzuki 4ls front drum. 

Mind you, i briefly had the RS mentioned above to do some assessment on prior, and the bike was a train wreck track bike, But i did get it to run pretty well. the carbs certainly didn't need to be completely rebuilt. I know, i had them in my hands.   

I mean... i will say, the stuff is pretty to the untrained eye. 

busa1300

$800 to rebuild some 34 Mikuni's.....damn...I'm in the wrong business.

RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

m in sc

and they didn't need rebuilding. i know, for a fact, they didn't. also, that was the 'negotiated down price'. I actually go the phone call from the customer on the way over tot he shop to get my opinion, not kidding. its a fucking hot mess over there.

wanna be boutique bike shops. I cant wait till they just fade the f out.

Striker1423

Agree with Mark. When I first got this bike, some may recall, I had it looked at a t a shop in Ann Arbor called "Cafe' Racer". That should have been the clue. 6 months, back and forth and no charge later. I was doing the work myself anyway. Unless its in my hands, or a known professional in this business, it ain't happening anymore haha.