Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Looking for suspension tuning advice

Started by irk_miller, August 15, 2022, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sav0r

I am 25 degrees with 3.75" rake trail, I just found my notes. Still pretty damn stable. You are for sure looking at some awful geometry there.

edit: fix my mixed up words there
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

irk_miller

Quote from: sav0r on August 17, 2022, 06:09:56 PM
I am 25 degrees with 3.75" rake, I just found my notes. Still pretty damn stable. You are for sure looking at some awful geometry there.

No doubt about it.  Looks like I am shopping for a new front end swap. 

Much thanks for the feedback.  It'll be an investment, since everything up front has to change with it.  Fortunately, I have a few options on hand.

oxford

Maybe put some time in and see if a different set of trees without the offset will fit your forks.  I'm sure there is something common that will work.

PistonHoles

Newbie here and love reading all the experience and inputs.

I saw the mention of the scales but maybe I missed something about the bar height. True you need measurements and data to get it dialed in. However, the present bar height is going to situate the rider more upright and place the CG high and aft. Combine that with a stiff fork and a squat rear and it reminds me of (no offense) a en454 I had that felt really unstable.

Read a lot about Eric Buell and mass centralization with regard to turning. Low and centralized gives the bike an axis on which it pivots.

Might help it out a lot rather inexpensively with a set of clubmans. They make a big difference

my .02

irk_miller

Quote from: PistonHoles on August 19, 2022, 09:44:34 PM
Newbie here and love reading all the experience and inputs.

I saw the mention of the scales but maybe I missed something about the bar height. True you need measurements and data to get it dialed in. However, the present bar height is going to situate the rider more upright and place the CG high and aft. Combine that with a stiff fork and a squat rear and it reminds me of (no offense) a en454 I had that felt really unstable.

Read a lot about Eric Buell and mass centralization with regard to turning. Low and centralized gives the bike an axis on which it pivots.

Might help it out a lot rather inexpensively with a set of clubmans. They make a big difference

my .02

I'd go clip ons before Clubmans.  I have a few sport bike front ends, if I want to go that direction.  I'll be happier with a narrower bar and a steeper rise.  I ride an airhead with the very bar I have in mind. 

I have a few options for a neutral triple tree that fits 37mm fork tubes and comes within a half inch on spread.  Turns out, this triple is CB900, not CB650, which explains the rake.

PistonHoles

That's even better than inexpensive if  you already have them!

Your bike but if it was me,  I would certainly put them on. One reason RDs are so much fun is the small mass vs. the power output. That small mass means that the rider position has a greater effect on handling.

Clem710

I didnt read everything so heres my armchair, up with the rear, down with the front, lower bars.....

Orrrrrr....... just take it to the track as is, we ran plenty of dudes on Harleys and sport tourers around and they all had fun. The faster guys ran out of bike 1/2 way through the day but they still had fun.

Take the tools to the track that you need to make likely adjustments, if its 3 sessions, you have 40 min every hour to futz with it.

Orrrrr..... just ride the bike as it is and ride around whatever problems it has, I'm thinkin ur gonna be way up on that tank, motard style.

It'll be fun, just go:)  Take a spare bike if you think it wont be good for the full day.

irk_miller

Quote from: Clem710 on August 29, 2022, 06:21:42 PM
I didnt read everything so heres my armchair, up with the rear, down with the front, lower bars.....

Orrrrrr....... just take it to the track as is, we ran plenty of dudes on Harleys and sport tourers around and they all had fun. The faster guys ran out of bike 1/2 way through the day but they still had fun.

Take the tools to the track that you need to make likely adjustments, if its 3 sessions, you have 40 min every hour to futz with it.

Orrrrr..... just ride the bike as it is and ride around whatever problems it has, I'm thinkin ur gonna be way up on that tank, motard style.

It'll be fun, just go:)  Take a spare bike if you think it wont be good for the full day.

Thanks for the feedback, Clem.  On that note, I decided to swap it out for a USD.  The difference is considerable, obviously.  It's for a TL1000r, so 200lbs heavier, but it doesn't feel off in any way.  Much better geometry for a baseline, regardless.

Clem710

On home builds or just stuff that may not be real suitable, rider in position, u need someone to balance you,  bouncing some weight on footpegs and having another helper eyeball the eveness of the front and rear of the bike as it goes up and down, speed and displacement.

Adjust with whatever is available to get it balanced, you can also do with only one helper and bouncing while rolling slowly.

If up and down is relatively similar, the bike should be rideable. If one end wont cooperate, the rider will have to adjust. Too soft is probably generally preferred over too hard, wallowing vs skipping.

sav0r

Well what are the numbers? I love sharing data.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

irk_miller

Quote from: sav0r on September 05, 2022, 04:11:45 PM
Well what are the numbers? I love sharing data.

Fork angle: 25.5 degrees
Rake: 27 degrees
Trail: 95mm
Offset: 32mm (from the internet)

Clem:  Going through sag measuring and then following up with rides is what makes me think I am not too far away with springs, etc.  I like a tighter ride, so having it ride that way feels good to me.  I don't lose grip.

m in sc