News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

K&N Pod Filters can we make them work on RD ?

Started by Pravin, August 09, 2022, 10:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravin

Quote from: Plasticman on August 18, 2022, 03:57:30 PM
While living in Houston close to the ocean, my UNIs lasted 3-4 years when oiled on my RD400.  It was always kept in a garage.  I haven't installed the new UNIs I have for it now that I live in Alabama..

Rob

I think my issue is the weather and also my bike is not kept in closed garage but undr a stilt parking and I use them dry

I am going to order new ones and til then am going to experience K&N Pods and see how she goes : )

m in sc

not really. its the effect the reed closing has from the carb back.

Pravin

Quote from: m in sc on August 19, 2022, 07:51:54 AM
not really. its the effect the reed closing has from the carb back.

Ok I thought if we can increase the distance between the metal plate at the back of he pods and the reeds it may help reducing the effect ...

m in sc

its been tried. for decades. doesn't work.

Ive heard people say their bikes (rds) run 'great with k&n pods' right on the bellmouth of the carbs. well, ive ridden enough other peoples bikes to say.. nope. they really don't.  there usually a huge flat spot somewhere in the power. the reply usually is 'they are all like that'. no, they aren't.

so, i think it boils down to really knowing what its supposed to run like. amazing how many people don't have a clue as to what a solid baseline is supposed to feel like. 

Im not sayin that's the case here. Just offering a theory as to why you see so many on bikes, particularly 'boutique' builds that rarely go over half throttle and just get putted around on.

rodneya

Try oiling the next set of foam filters you get and see if that helps protect them from the elements.

Pravin

Quote from: rodneya on August 19, 2022, 10:14:06 AM
Try oiling the next set of foam filters you get and see if that helps protect them from the elements.

Absolutely ...am going to oil them this time ! And thanks SC for sharing your experience : )

Cheers
Pravin