Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The Last Project -Finished

Started by Mgmark, September 09, 2022, 08:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxford

FWIW, I went and looked at what I did.  I have the strap stretched to around 4" .

Mgmark

The rear strap bracket bolts to the front of the seat with a hook along the front edge for the strap to mount to. I need to make the bracket so I can give it some height and the rear strap should work. I'll have to look around for something to fit the front.

Thanks
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

oxford

What will the "stretched" distance be on the front strap be if you use it as is?

I think the tz350 may have used the same bracket for the rear???  Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the seat I have came with a molded in bracket for the strap.  I think I cut it off because I was worried about having a secure enough mount for the seat to use it and ended up just welding it on the frame.

Mgmark

It will be right at 3-3/4" stretched on the front. The 750 uses a different seat strap bracket than the 250/350. I have seen seats with the bracket molded into the forward edge so no extra bracket needed.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

The rear tank strap mount is done. I still haven't come up with what to do about the front.

The TZ doesn't have idle screws in the carbs. Is it worth drilling and tapping the carb bodies, and replacing the slides for idle screws. These will idle at about 1500 rpm.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

oxford

Quote from: Mgmark on February 23, 2023, 10:50:53 AM
The rear tank strap mount is done. I still haven't come up with what to do about the front.

If you don't want to stretch it that far, can you cut the the metal clip out of the strap and bend a longer one up out of some stainless rod?  It's hard to tell how much room you have from the frame mount until you run into rubbing on the tank if you go that route.

Mgmark

This is a good idea if I can find the wire. I'm pretty sure I can get the length I need without getting into the tank. The wire clips are open ended so they will come out of the rubber and can be replaced.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Kawtriplefreak

Mark,
I don't know much about real race bikes. That being said, if it idles consistently at 1500 and the take off is OK I would likely leave it be. I doubt it will idle much slower than that if you go through all that for the sake of 200-300 RPMS.

Mgmark

Hey Tim, they don't idle at all on their own. You have to keep the throttle cracked like idle screws would do. They don't like running much below 1500. I'd rather not mod original TZ carbs, and slides aren't cheap. As little as it will be ridden I'm leaning towards leaving it as is.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

oxford

Quote from: Mgmark on February 23, 2023, 05:39:19 PM
This is a good idea if I can find the wire.

Wire clip on the strap is 2.5mm.  Use either a 3/32" or an 1/8" piece of TIG filler rod.  If you want to go that route and have a hard time, send me a PM of what you need and I can bend something up.  I have filler rod here.

Mgmark

Ok thanks, I'll see what I can find.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Kawtriplefreak

Another albeit cave man approach would be to drill a hole in the throttle tube housing and thread it. Then put a bolt with a spring and e-clip on it like the early H2s had for the dangerous cruise control nobody used. It might be handy for warm ups or any extended idle situations so you won't have to keep it alive blipping the throttle and be able to walk away and leave it idling.

m in sc

:olaf:

a 'warmup' simple throttle lock isnt a bad idea actually.   

Mgmark

I'm thinking the same thing. It would make it easier to keep running while getting it off the rollers, and warm up. Good idea Tim!
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Kawtriplefreak

Thanks... even a blind squirrel like me finds an acorn once in a while.