Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The Last Project -Finished

Started by Mgmark, September 09, 2022, 08:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mgmark

I spent a day trying to make everything fit between the headlights and the handlebars when they turn. There is maybe 1" of free room between them. I have the gauge mount length and shape pretty well figured out. The tach just touches the headlight rubber at the back, and the bars miss the front of the tach by about 1/2".
Everything is packed in tight on these bikes. The steering dampener interferes with where I want to mount the CDI box on the left side. I might have to move it up on the gauge mount if the bars won't hit it there. The dampener has only one exact spot it can mount and not interfere with the fork leg, or the spark plug, or run out of travel. Every part effects where other parts fit and work on this thing.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

m in sc

wow thats 10 lbs of sausage in a 5 lb bag.

teazer

How about changing the mechanical tacho arrangement to a modern Single Speedo/tacho etc to free up the space.  Does that ignition have a tacho output.  If not  I imported a few CDI tacho adapters that might work.  I tested them with a Motoplat and stock Hitachi CDI IIRC and they do the job.

But back to the point, a single unit would mount off the top triple with a little work and could eliminate that mounting plate and open up the space.  Or perhaps drop the speedo/tacho head unit down below the clipon risers down where a stock tacho goes.

Mgmark

Hey Mark, it's all about how you pack the sausage!
I have it all in there, full steering lock both sides and nothing pinches anywhere. I like the look of the original gauges (esp the tach) so I really wanted to get it figured out. Nothing left to do now but replace the final template with a permanent part, and clean up the cut off places on the fairing bracket.
I think it is time to call the painter.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

m in sc

that all looks really great. 

:celebrate:

no speedo?

Mgmark

'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

I started on electrics today. I made a bracket and mounted the LED tail light, bought and mounted the battery under the seat, and swapped out the H4 headlight bulbs for LEDs. I'm waiting for the lighting switch to show up and I will start making the wiring harness. I had the three prong sockets in my box O electric junk so I wired the headlights together and tested them.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

I've been working on building the wiring harness for all the lighting. It's pretty simple with just an on/off to power all the accessory electrics, and a lighting/horn/signals handlebar switch. All of the lighting is LED except the front signals. It takes some time to run each component and solder terminals.
Everything works now, the horn will blast you.

https://flic.kr/p/2nZ3DK5

Too bad winter just hit or I'd try a road test.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

I had some free time so I moved the upper radiator mounts where they will work, and today I made the missing front motor mounts. Yamaha used 1/8 steel on the original TZ mounts so I did the same. It's the usual process; cardboard template, then cut out a solid pattern, make adjustments if needed, then cut metal. I happened to have some plastic sheet that worked perfect for a pattern. Surprisingly the right mount has about a 1/2" offset. The left one is flat.

I spoke with the painter and he will be ready for me in two weeks. So I guess I'll go ahead and pull it apart to finish welding.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

Nothing much happening lately. The frame is at the welder's, and body work is off being painted RD400 French blue. I resisted the urge to do the usual yellow/speed blocks, or white with red stripe. It's been too cold to work in the garage anyway. Only four months left to be ready for Deal's Gap meet!
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

sav0r

We got that massive cold snap in the NE (and I think many other places) and I went through all my fuel for heating my shop in like 5 days. I ponied up for more fuel, now it is 60 degrees. That's some BS.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Mgmark

Yeah it was pretty bad here for a week. When it is in single digits with wind chills in the negative numbers the garage isn't gonna get warmed up enough to do anything.

On the plus side I got the frame back yesterday.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

I put the frame on the motor today, and maybe some suspension. It's a tight fit so it is much easier to sit the engine on its side and slide the frame onto it. I spoke with the painter today. That might be done in a coupe of weeks.
Less that four months to go until the 2-stroke meet!
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

m in sc

i absolutely can NOT wait to see this thing in person.   :cheerleader: :whoop:

Evans Ward

Quote from: m in sc on January 17, 2023, 01:56:19 PM
i absolutely can NOT wait to see this thing in person.   :cheerleader: :whoop:

For sure!!  :thumbs: It might be the rarest and most exotic 2 stroke ever to be at the Deal's Gap Meet! Can't wait to see it, hear it, and take some pics and video of it running!
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV