click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

The Last Project -Finished

Started by Mgmark, September 09, 2022, 08:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mgmark

Quote from: teazer on September 11, 2022, 04:20:15 PM
Needs an alloy caliper for sure.

Nice Spondon floating rear disk.  Had one like that on a client's Rotax powered spondon years ago

Did the 750 use an RD type large rear disk and not solid steel that the 350 came with?  I never stopped to look at a rear disk before.  I always get stuck drooling at the powerplant.

40970 are good.  Does Vince @ Fondseca still sell replica 6 transfer port barrels?

More power, that's what I need! After the bike is finished I might start looking for the six port cylinders, but they are fairly rare and pricey.

The twin shock 750 used a large rear disc the same as on the front of the bike. The monoshock bikes used a smaller disc the same diameter as an RD, but like the front was much thinner and has extra holes.
Yes I'll be putting an alloy caliper and TZ disc on it if I don't go with the Brembo set-up, but I probably will go with the Yamaha bits for simplicity and I think it looks better.
Here is a pic of my first 750 with the original rear brakes. Big discs all around. And a pic of a monoshock type rear brake.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

Front caliper mounts for the Spondon calipers to the Forcella forks. I'm using original TZ brake discs but XS rotors are the same diameter, just thicker (and heavier) and don't have holes.

I start with a cardboard pattern, then a thin alloy or plywood pattern to give it stiffness and get it closer, then a real mount in the final thickness. Be sure to check the caliper is centered over the disc and shim it if necessary.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

DaytonaCafe

m in sc

I once heard 'you know why divorce is expensive? because its worth it'

i think that applies to a TZ750 project as well.  :devil: :toot:

Plasticman

I feel the same as Teazer. This is the only other motorcycle on my bucket list.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

Mgmark

It's a roller. I'm thinking I want to run just an upper fairing, so let me know if you guys have any ideas. Something with a headlight.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

edgefinder

I've got the same handlebars on a rz500 with r1 forks. I think the upper fairing is same as an rz350 that came with full fairing. Should be a good fit.

Luke

m in sc

considering the size of the bike, id consider a dunstall if it would fit the bar locations. would be different and not hide the motor.

Mgmark

I was thinking maybe a TZ750 Endurance fairing upper, or an FZ600. After it is further along I'll have a better idea what might look good.

Next up is figure out what pipes to use. I need to hang them so I know how the foot controls fit, and then the rear brake master cylinder. What I do now effects how other things fit later on.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

I have two good sets of pipes with the bike when I got it. One is a stock set of D/E/F pipes, the other is a round set of unknown origin. Both sets interfere #1 pipe with a seat support frame tube so that will need to be dealt with. The D/E/F pipes seem to fit better and provide better foot control clearance. The round pipes look like they may be better performance but I will need to make new silencers for them.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

Rear frame loop to add seat height for legroom, and a place to add tail light and license plate mount.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Mgmark

I rebuilt the silencers with new alloy tube and steel for the perforated core from Online Metals. I'm re-using the end caps. It takes a while to drill all those holes and then wrap them with packing.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

Kawtriplefreak

Excellent work my friend  :patriot: :patriot:

m in sc

suggestion on the silencer: weld a strengthening rib or bar along the top of the baffle core to prevent it from internally breaking. I know, its strong now but theres no harm and a broken baffle tube can lunch a cyl quick. late FPP cans were built this way for this very reason. :twocents:

Mgmark

I laced up a new 2.5" rim on the front wheel to get some wider rubber up front. I like a solid feeling front tire. I also bled up the brakes front and rear but I'm still dinking around with where to put the rear m/cyl. I probably moved it five times already to see what lines up and works best. I also ran all the cables I have for it so now I have a working throttle and clutch after modifying the adjuster a little.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000