Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Near Miss. As close as you can get

Started by paul1478, October 07, 2022, 10:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul1478

I had not taken my Ducati up to the mountains yet. I went up Wed for a day of riding and to spend the night. I stayed in Robbinsville. I went for a ride over the gap, 2 parts of the foothills parkway. Had a small lunch and turned around. I was taking my time, riding alone and not wanting a huge ticket. I was in shock after I never seen it coming until it was WAY to late to do anything. I made a short vid of this.

https://youtu.be/KYQisb07QxE

Paul
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

your ass should unpucker by Thanksgiving.

god damn. glad you are OK

paul1478

I was so Fed up I actually went the speed limit the rest of the way back to the hotel. I even went home early.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

1976RD400C

That's a big problem around here too and it scares me to speed up unless there is a field on each side of the road so I can see. If makes you feel any better, my neighbor has clobbered 2 with his 1200 Bandit and didn't go down, but had lots of fairing and bodywork damage.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

SoCal250

Holy crap that was close! :eek: Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

rodneya

I had a similar close call with a little black bear a few weeks ago. Certainly gets the old heartbeat going.

2steve

If one of those hooves on any one of those 4 legs had slipped on the asphalt, (and apparently they didn't), something would have gotten ruined.

m in sc

Carl and a few of us had a similar experience with 2 big black boars on hwy 28 one night at deal gap a few years ago. and one of the boars DID lose traction. It wasnt quite that close but carl was within 2 feet of t-boning that boar, and it was easily 250+ lbs. then we ran across a pack of pigs less than a mile later.

thats the thing about the wilderness. theres animals and shit. man.. im so glad you're ok.  :patriot:

rodneya

Quote from: m in sc on October 07, 2022, 02:37:08 PM
Carl and a few of us had a similar experience with 2 big black boars on hwy 28 one night at deal gap a few years ago. and one of the boars DID lose traction. It wasnt quite that close but carl was within 2 feet of t-boning that boar, and it was easily 250+ lbs. then we ran across a pack of pigs less than a mile later.

thats the thing about the wilderness. theres animals and shit. man.. im so glad you're ok.  :patriot:

I lived in Botswana for quite a while, and up North there were a lot of elephants, so shit in the road was a BIG problem

kpke

Wow, that was very close. I've had a couple of those. One Friday night my buddy called me on his way to the hospital asking if I could retrieve his motorcycle on Mines Road. He wasn't as lucky as you. The bike fared pretty well. He didn't and had to have surgeries to repair damage to a broken shoulder and wrist. Also, one of the hooves managed to get into and up the sleeve of his jacket and sliced his arm open. They had to pull deer hair out of his arm.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Evans Ward

Paul- glad you didn't hit that deer as that was so close! Your video gave me the shivers!  :help:

Ken- sorry to hear about your friend. Hoping he has excellent medical care and recovers quickly.

I'm here at the Barber Vintage Fest and saw more Kaw Triple stuff for sale than any other year. Great prices too. I brought my H2 but I didn't have time to dial in the tune as the carbs aren't synced. I just had to come even with a recent left leg hamstring and ITB tear/ pull. Limping around best I can. Chris and Shane are here with me too.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Redbird

This was alot of years ago, but a buddy of mine t-boned an 8-10' long gator on a back road one afternoon. He was geared up and faired pretty good, with only a few gnarly bumps and bruises. The bike didn't do so well... bent the front rim, bent the forks, crushed the headpipes, and some rash where it slid. The gator walked away, presumably to go live his best life, as there was no indication that he even noticed the impact.
"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"

IR8D8R

Close Paul.

Fall of 2021 we had a lot of problems on 129 with hunting dogs from people after wild pigs in the area. There were hounds popping out on the Dragon without warning.  A few people almost wrecked down by the reservoir. Apparently it was approved by the Feds trying to get pigs out of SMNP. Someone said they were letting them loose in the park and picking them up on 129 using GPS collars.

The Dragon has been a zoo for the past month. Parades of supercars and lots of tourist traffic. Worse than it was before Covid. The cops upped their patrols after a bunch of incidents.

IR8D8R

pdxjim

LOL, ironic to see a perfectly functional SXV on a trailer.  :whistle:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

JB Weld

Sheesh that was close! Thankful you are ok!