News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

New to me TZR250

Started by m in sc, October 10, 2022, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

im not quite at the point of changing pipes yet. i was eyeballing the  stainless ones on webike   :devil: though.

more than likely down the road i'll swap them. how mush were those a set jim?  :thumbs:

pdxjim

I believe they are still under £500 GBP. Can't remember that if that includes the Tyga cans or not. Plus shipping from the UK.

Unlike most of the Japanese pipes, Martin's are performance proven with many years of development and race wins.

Plus, he is a super nice guy and a great resource for tuning tips, etc. Very generous and open with his knowledge.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

JBeasty

1977 RD400

busa1300

Yamaha factory kitted TT formula 3 bike....
Beautiful little thing

RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

m in sc

^ that is nice.

so, while waiting for stuff, there's a few things I needed to address. most importantly is the fuel tank. letting them sit with any fuel in them, well, things go awry. down side of a low mileage bike.
luckily its savable but its going to need to be lined. there are leaks at both low point seams and there's one pinhole on the LH side right in the middle of the side of the tank.  :'(

so, i used a few gallons of evaoprust after getting most of the loose flakes out. It wasn't covered in rust, but where it was rusty, it was pretty bad. so, i flushed it out this morning with clean water after de-rusting, and its currently sitting in my garage with a fan blowing air down the neck with my improvised duct to push it through the filler neck.

Caswell should fix this up right as rain. then i can see about getting the white paint that lifted touched up.

rodneya

http://ottodem.com/

This guy has some CAD files for TZ stuff available through grabcad for free.
Not sure if this helps anyone.

mnein

I've had good results with Evaporust (RZ tanks), but have never tried lining one. Brazing pinholes shut didn't go too well either. Good luck on your efforts - beautiful bike.

Mgmark

Hey Mark,
Caswell works great. Just be sure to protect the paint up around the filler cap area. You don't want to get sealer on the paint.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

m in sc

yup. already have it done.  ive probably done 15-20 tanks with it.

ajb

Love the TZR.  I had a 2MA racebike that I used for a season or two. Great fun and lovely to work on.

Also had an R1-Z 3XC.  They have the closest ratio box of all of them.  Very close to the F3 kit gearbox. 

All great fun to work on.  I currently have a JDM TDR250 which is low miles and also a giggle. 

Yet another great Yamaha stroker.  Enjoy.

m in sc

nice!
ive always liked r1z's have only ever seen 2 or 3 in real life.

Ive been fairly steady on the TZR, got the intakes, petcock rebuild kit, and fork seals Friday. (actually arrived early). Less than a week from Yambits in the UK, and by fedex. I almost can't believe it.

so first off. look at this fucking jackassery on the intakes. I'll let the pic speak for itself.  :whatever:

much better. also, rebuilt petcock in back of pic. all parts were tanked and the face plate was worked over a whetstone to help sealing.

so, to jims point, the heater line was blocked off.  intakes installed , and reeds and crank checked (visually). looks pretty good.

so, forks.

somebody apparently had cleaned the outer ones with sandpaper.  they looked a bit rough up close. took the fender and wheel off...

one to left in pic (right fork leg) is after i cleaned if off some. 

OF COURSE one of the fork leg bolts were stripped. luckily got it out.

looks like somebody replaced just the left seal in the past.  :huh:
all fresh now.

fork oil set to 90mm from top w springs out, and compressed.

so, in a good place, think all the mechanical stuff is done. just need to get battery in and bodywork back on, and should be sorted.

IN regards to what it actually is... this is interesting.

the frame number doesnt match the bodywork either. the frame number is a 1kt-55*** which means its an 86-88 NON marlboro scheme bike. Again, not really concerned, because the less from original it is, the more freedom i feel i have with it. Just gets weirder and weirder, but rest assured, it was not paid for as a parts numbers matching bike, so no worries there.

more to come.  :afro:

busa1300

Some 2XT parts at auction right now.
Sadly the engine must have been bought for a customer, and now they are parting everything else
They do have the better wider 17 front/rear wheels still

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/spongebob0817?p=tzr&ei=UTF-8&auccat=0&sid=spongebob0817&b=1&n=60&haq=2
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

m in sc

thats very cool. i did spy a 2xt cdi box....  :whistle:

ajb

I think it's a combined CDI and YPVS box on the 2XT, 3XC and 3CK, unlike the 1KT / 2MA.

There was a excellent Japanese site that had curves for all the CDIs, but it's down now and not on the archives, dam it.  If I remember, the 3CK curve was the most aggressive, and the 3XC-00 the least.  Later 3MA CDIs have a throttle position sensor.

The YPM racers in the UK made decent power on the stock 1KT CDI.  Mine made 56bhp on a dynojet, right at the class limit although that was when we had to use stock pipes.  Standard, they are around 40bhp.  Enjoy.